iPad 2 is still too big

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aleni, May 21, 2011.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

eventhough it's thinner, i feel my iPad 2 is still too big, especially since i don't use bag when going outside so it's really a hassle to bring it outside. when im out, i always have my iPhone 4 but after using the iPad, the screen seems cramped even with that sharp retina display.

anybody feel the same? or maybe i just had to use a bag when go outside? but small bag to contain the iPad and my wallet seems girly :/

2. Meanee, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011

Meanee macrumors 6502a

3. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I disagree. My iPad fits snugly in my Tom Bihn Ristretto bag which is light and convenient.

4. zetsurin macrumors regular

Without a bag it would feel daft carrying one around. In fact I think people casually walking around with one in hand at train stations look... stupid.

I use a small backpack and it's great though, that's all you really need I reckon.

5. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

So what you're saying is, you want something that fits in your pocket (like your iPhone), but has a good sized screen (like an iPad).

Then I'm afraid there is really only one solution…

[​IMG]

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I have a playbook and an iPad 1.. The playbook is 7" or so.. IMO the playbook is way too small. It hurts my eyes, the keyboard is difficult to use on that size, and we browsing makes things hard to read, and hard to tap on links.

yeah, the iPad is bigger.. But at least it is usable.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

iPad.

Too large to be used out and about on the move without looking like and idiot and too small to be used at home for a long term entertainment device.

Perhaps 7" for on the move. The largest you can really go and still hold with one hand, and perhaps 14" for at home for leisurely web browsing, game playing and movie playback. The same size as a typical laptop screen.

I'd 100% buy the 14" version.

8. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Good grief, people complain the iPhone screen is too small and now the complain the iPad is too big??? Maybe a new product somewhere in between would be the solution, call it the iPhad. :p

9. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

10. Skika macrumors 68030

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually, this again harks back to a comment I made yesterday in another thread.

The problem is, and always will be, Apple are tying to create a general purpose computing device. (with the right apps and iPad can be anything) but only offer 1 model to the public.

Unless Apple in time release a range of models, as they do with their computers (iMacs, MacBooks and Mac Pro's) other companies will offer devices to cater for peoples tastes.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My iPad 1 fits in my backpack. I think a smaller iPad will impact it's usability

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I want it to be 3"x1"x0.5" 28 grams to easily fit in my pocket but have a 15" display.:eek:

14. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

Im in Europe and many many men have a European carryall to coin a Seinfeld phrase. Perfect for iPad 2

And by the way iPad 2 does not have the retina display

Maybe USA men need to own up and stop being homophobes and get in touch with their feminine side not that European carryalls are feminine but it seems USA thinks so

15. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Why not buy a Galaxy tab? 7" screen and smaller.

16. zetsurin macrumors regular

I have a Galaxy Tab as well as my iPad and yes the 7" form is very useful. Funny enough the Galaxy Tab actually plays videos better than my iPad. The stock Video player in the GT is smoother and keeps video/audio sync for any movie format I throw at it, which sadly the video player I purchased for the iPad cannot.

Also, laying down watching videos is a one hand experience with the GT (no, not saying there's particular content I am watching that requires the other hand ;)).

I really only say this as I am sure there's so many Apple-only sorts who all too readily will say that 10 inches just so happens by *sheer coincidence* to be the One True Form. I think there's a time and a place for a smaller tab, just like there are usability scenarios that suit the larger iPad better...

17. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

i didnt say the iPad 2 has retina display.

18. cytomatrix macrumors member

19. blipmusic macrumors regular

:D

I'm in Europe as well, but in all fairness it's only in the last few years we've had anything real to choose from at ok prices. Bit of a bag boom, for which I'm glad. Japan, for example, is much bigger on bags, though I guess the bag has a bit of a history over there (furoshiki and so on).

On the iPad being to big: that was actually my first thought and slight disappointment when it was presented last year.

If I'm getting an iPad (or any 10" sized tablet), I want to make it my goto computer as much as possible. For a 7" I'm fine with consuming media; e.g. books, comics, magazines, pdf-articles + mail/browsing and the occasional movie/music.

I've been contemplating a nook color because of its size/screen/price tag, though being in Europe I'm not sure of the easiest way to get one. Also, I'd have to root it I guess (actually, that seems to be the beauty of the nook), since the B&N e-book store doesn't allow non-US customers (?). It seems they're about to present something new on the 24th, though.

Or I might wait to see what becomes of the rumored Amazon tablet, since their store allows us Europeans to shop. Hopefully it'll be a 7"-ish tablet.

I don't think we'll see a 7"-ish tablet from Apple for a long time, sadly. If ever. I'll happily eat those words, should I be wrong, though.

20. DavidMc macrumors member

I just got my first iPad but I have been using a Galaxy Tab since they were released on Sprint. For me the iPad is not any more difficult to take with me then the 7" Tab. However I dont feel the need to take it every where I go. So my uses outside the home are probably different then most. I do agree with one poster that the 7" does border on being to small.

21. alan111 macrumors regular

I said it before and I'll say it again......
    I think the perfect size for the iPad would be 8.9".
    I honestly think that if samsung does release the 8.9" version, it will an instant hit.

Well just have to see.

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

They offer six different models of tablet to the public. Finite differentiation is not the same as 'no differentiation'.

'General purpose' does not mean 'every purpose' so to blame it for not targeting every niche is bizarre.

Yes, they also make several other computing products to address other needs.

I am sure Apple will be the first to admit that they do not make a product for every niche and that other companies are free to see if those companies can make a product which is a better fit for some consumers. Apple would probably also assert that at some point increased differentiation fails to make business sense for them and will not make all things for all people. This is their prerogative.

You post your point over and over; you also never respond when these things are pointed out to you.

23. vw195 macrumors 6502

I agree with everything you say. I have a 7" Nook Color that sits by my bed. It works best for reading, and late night slingboxing.

The iPad2 is a great general purpose device that I really like alot more than the ipad1. The thinness and lower weight makes it a great form factor for onthego situations

24. blipmusic, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

blipmusic macrumors regular

As I see it they offer one. Stretching it, two with the 3G, but the wifi will allow for the same capabilities when in range. Different SKUs or not I think you understood exactly what the poster meant. It's "the same device with different storage capabilities + the choice of wireless". To Apple they are of course different models, they have to design, plan for and produce it, but the customer will see an "iPad", which can in turn have 16-64GB flash + 3G.

Then again I don't regard my computer as a different one, should I choose to upgrade my hard drive down the line.

That's why I think we'll never see a 7" device from them, no incentive to do so.

EDIT:
    I looked at comparison pics of the Samsung 8.9 and I think you changed my mind about wanting a 7" (*tablet*). An 8.9" screen does indeed seem to be a sweet spot for mobility vs productivity.

25. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

is browsing on the galaxy tab 7" as fast as the iPad 2?