iPad 2 is ugly

Discussion in 'iPad' started by paulos1990, Jan 21, 2011.

1. paulos1990 macrumors newbie

May 31, 2010
    So I have seen a few pics of iPad 2 models now and am I the only one that thinks it's not as beautiful as the iPad 1?
    I just don't think the flat back is right, but I think the flat back works brilliant on the iPod touch (4th gen).

But then again I have not felt it in hand yet so I will wait and see.

I would like to know what all you out there think tho????? :apple::):apple:
  2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2009
    Well, since nobody here has seen an iPad 2 I'm not sure there's much to talk about. The models that you've seen are mostly just for general shape, they aren't anywhere near the finish and quality of an Apple product.
  3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    Can't judge something that hasn't been confirmed or released.
  4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Feb 5, 2010
    Canadian Eh!
    It's just speculation what your seeing. There is no prototype as far as the public is concerned.
  5. rburly macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2009
    I think a picture of what you're talking about would help your discussion. Without a picture, it's pointless really.
  6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm going to make an iPad2 case that looks like an original iPad.
  7. Stetrain, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Stetrain macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2009
    I think he's talking about the models like this one:

They showed up at CES, they're just placeholders by case manufacturers to show how their cases will look on the actual device. Even if they're based on real information from Apple's suppliers, they might not be indicative of the final design and definitely not of the final finish and build quality.

These case manufacturers at best know general dimensions and locations where holes should be. They don't know what the various things will look like that they need to provide holes for, just that there need to be holes there.

I really hope though that they keep the brushed/anodized aluminum finish, rather than the chrome finish they use on the iPod touch. It looks nice on the product page but it tends to scratch really easily. Hopefully they switch away from the chrome finish on the iPod as well in the future.
  8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Jun 23, 2009
    I like the iPod chrome finish more. It does scratch, but I like scratches on the chrome. Especially compared to the brushed finish when scratched. What's apple going to do with that liquid metal they got?
  9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2010
    Until its released, its just rumors. It may be a fake. You really need thread for this?
  10. Synthion macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2011
    I agree. Which is why I plan on being surprised at the keynote. Apple would never make anything so ugly.
  11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2009
    I would imagine that we'll eventually see some products with cases, it might be a few years though.
  12. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2010
    I know we haven't seen any sort of prototype or finished product, but if what we have seen so far is accurate, I would have to favor the current ipad in design. It just looks.... Applish, if you know what I mean. These models that we are seeing lack a sense of finish and style that gen 1 has. And if those speaker slots do end up on the released product.... Thank god a case will be covering them.
  13. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2010
    I NEVER buy based on styling.

If it delivers the functionality I require it's a keeper. Period.
  14. ilovemyibook macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2006
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

You've never even seen the second iPad. Everything you've seen has been nothing made by Apple. They will make a beautiful iPad...trust and believe.
  15. fobfob macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2008
    Wait until it is released. It will look like this and everyone will love it. It's the Apple product cycle.
  16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Jan 20, 2011
    My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun?
  17. hleewell macrumors 6502a

Oct 22, 2009
    If Apple settles on that design & texture finish, I would not be the only one who is disappointed. Hundreds of thousands of Apple buyers would be royally pissed. The original design is sleek & exclusive-looking, why not stick with that? Maybe they could add one of those nifty scratch-proof coating ala Motorola Defy for the 64GB or 128GB models? No more 3rd party LCD protectors, back cover scratch resistant protectors etc. I hate to put my i-devices in .."condoms."
  18. LaughingAtYou macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

All you people saying that you'll be pissed or whatever, won't be pissed after sj states reasons as to why "this form factor"(unknown) > last gen form factor.

And for those who say "I never buy products based on looks." Well apple will choose form if the parts(chipsets, etc.) that apple desires would lower profit margins. In other words, you're a minority.

And no, I'm not an android fanboy or a microsoft fanboy or an apple fanboy. I'm just being realistic. Apple has been promoting new ways to "do" our everyday tasks even though our old ways aren't inadequate or inefficient. My 3 cents ^^

Sent from my iPhone.
  19. EbolaMonkey macrumors member

Jul 22, 2010
  20. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    ...was not ugly in 1998. :rolleyes:
  21. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    It hasn't been officially announced or released for that matter, so any pictures you are seeing are either highly subjective guesses and/or mock prototypes.
  22. Jack97 macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2010
  23. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2010
    Is not ugly today,not for me. Never was and never will be
  24. adnoh macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2010
  25. Piggie macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    To be really really honest, I don't care.
    At the moment I have my iPad in an Apple case as many do, so all I see is the black glass screen anyway.
    The case could even be made from Plastic and I'd not really care THAT MUCH.

To me it's more about what it does than what the box that contains the electronics looks like. Which is why, to be totally honest, the iMac does nothing for me and I can't buy one, as I know it's the design that is crippling the hardware.

For me, and I know others disagree, you make the electronics 1st to be the very best you can for the price, and then you fit them inside the nicest looking case you can.

You don't decide on the case you want, and then wonder how you can cut down the hardware to be able to fit inside it and give you the look you want.

When I use a Computer, or a Laptop or a Tablet, I''m looking at the screen and how well things on the screen look, quality wise, and how fast and smooth they move. To me this is, without question the 100% most important aspect of a computer type device, everything else comes second to this. Sure, it's a bonus if a piece of equipment looks nice to. But it's not my 1st priority.

I was I selecting a haircut, a pair of shoes or a suit, or perhaps even to some extent a car, then looks would play a dominant or much more important role, but for me anyway, for a computing device it's all about the screen and what happens on the screen. Not if the back of the case, facing the wall, on my 27" monitor device is 1/2" thinner.