iPad Ipad 2 jailbreak

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Im completely new to jailbreaking. Im about to jailbreak my iPad2 on 5.1.1. I know about Redsnow and absinthe, but theres so many versions and links out there. Can someone hook me up with a link to the correct/best one? Ill be doing it on my macbook pro. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just saw another post with a link to Green poison. Is this an untethered jailbreak?

Last edited:

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
First off, absinthe is greenpoison, second, it really doesn't matter which one you use, as you can upgrade the jailbreak in cydia when the process is done.

If you are set on finding the highest one anyways, I believe absinthe's current version is 2.0.4, not sure about redsn0w, but they both do the same thing.

Absinthe 2.0.4 for windows:
https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-win-2.0.4.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Mac:
https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-mac-2.0.4.dmg?attredirects=0&d=1

Linux:
https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-linux-2.0.4.tar.bz2?attredirects=0&d=1

Straight from greenpois0n.com

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
First off, absinthe is greenpoison, second, it really doesn't matter which one you use, as you can upgrade the jailbreak in cydia when the process is done.

If you are set on finding the highest one anyways, I believe absinthe's current version is 2.0.4, not sure about redsn0w, but they both do the same thing.
And this is an untethered jailbreak right? Or do I Untether it in cydia?

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Absinthe 2.0.4 is the one i used this week to JB my iPad. It is so simple (no putting it in DFU halfway thru as in older versions) and there is nothing to do apart from doing a backup before. Lots of good vids on YT to walk you thru it. Once JB is done recheck YT for how to get sources etc.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I did it. Took all of 30 seconds. Now im trying to figure out Cydia. Im trying to change my theme but everyone of them says cannot locate package. I did v2.0.4. Confused.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
haha im so confused. So im Cydia. Im in changes. I go to a theme that I like out of the millions in the list and install it. I return to Cydia. Nothing happens. I go into Installed and I see it in there with a check mark. Theres no option to have it be my theme. If I go into the main settings on the ipad, I go to spring board, and I see it on there. I select it, and choose re spring. Iphone reboots, and nothing. 1 of them only changed JUST the background. Thats it. I want the whole theme. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Im totally new to this. Thank you.

Ok I think I figured it out. I had to enable Springboard. Wow this stuff is crazy

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
After downloading winterboard you will then need to add the theme of your choice. Download the theme and open winterboard and 'select themes' and the downloaded theme will be there for selection.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
After downloading winterboard you will then need to add the theme of your choice. Download the theme and open winterboard and 'select themes' and the downloaded theme will be there for selection.
I got that. Thanks. Just doesnt change the stuff at the top like the Ipad and wifi and time and battery like it shows on the screenshot. Does it HAVE to be specified for an IPad? Like a ipod theme wont work for an ipad or will it?

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Wondering if someone can help me out. I have a theme picked out, but it doesn't install the entire theme. I get the background and part of the lock screen, but not all. I don't get fonts and status bar changes. I have summer board enabled.