iPad 2 jailbroken same weekend but got released publically 4 months later.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by drenline, Mar 17, 2012.

1. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I don't want to jinx it but....does anyone think this jailbreak will also take this long? Comex found a jailbreak the same weekend as it was first released for the iPad 2, but it took months and months for it to be released to the public.

2. G3N0M3 macrumors newbie

No this is a different scenario.

The initial Ipad2 jailbreak was not releasable, it was just a proof of concept. Comex found the exploit and got some unsigned code to run but it was still buggy due to the A5 processor. It was also only tethered if my memory serves me correct.

This new jailbreak is different because they already got passed the processor hurdles and it is untethered. I expect the jailbreak for the new Ipad by the end of April the latest.

3. BlueRaider macrumors regular

The hole Comex used initially on the iPad 2 got closed in the next firmware update, rumors swirled at the time that there was an Apple mole lurking within the private irc chat rooms that the devs used causing the exploit to be fixed by Apple. Jailbreakme 3 was totally different from the initial exploit which caused it to be delayed by months, then it was leaked which forced Comex tomrelease it early and only covering one firmware revision. The iPad 3 has been jailbroken by at least 3 different people so far BUT only one has shown the jailbreak as being untethered (i0n1c). He's also the one that is least likely to release a public jailbreak unfortunately. April is overly optimistic in my opinion. Unless i0n1c has a change of heart and releases a jailbreak he's had for months it's gonna be another LONG wait for an A5 jailbreak.

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

What makes you say that? i0nic released the 4.3 jailbreak to the public as well.
    Most probably he wasn't releasing the jailbreak he has had for some time, because there was no need to, devs don't burn exploits if they don't have to, they'll take a look which exploit is the best to release and save the others for future JB's.

5. BlueRaider macrumors regular

Since he released the 4.3.3 jailbreak he's been bombarded by noobs with stupid questions and ETA's. He has more fun screwing with people now than releasing jailbreaks for free. He has had this jailbreak since before Pod2g found the Corona/Racoon exploit, he had no interest in releasing it then and it doesn't appear he is interested in releasing it now. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid it's going to be a long wait once again. Show me anything he's said that even remotely implies he's going to release this to the public?

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

As said in this thread there were reasons he didn't release the 4.3 one, and I'm sure he's been bombarded with questions/etas since his first jailbreak release. Hell he was being a bit ridiculous with his vague teases last year, seemed to like the speculation. I see no reason to assume he wouldn't release.

Besides, he's one of three groups with an exploit and we only need one to come through.

7. BlueRaider macrumors regular

I just think people are getting their hopes up when i0n1c has yet to even hint at a public release of a jailbreak that he's been holding onto for months. If you haven't read his most recent presentation that he linked to on twitter then I would highly suggest it. You probably aren't going to understand half of it but what I gathered from it is that i0n1c has multiple means of jailbreaking & Untethering iOS 5.X. He's yet to mention anything saying he intends to release a public jailbreak or is working towards a public release. This leads me to believe that the exploits that Musclenerd & Chpwn have are the most likely candidates for a public release assuming they can get past having to have a developers account, which is going to take months likely. If i0n1c really intended to release his jailbreak to the public do you not think he would have given it to the iPhone-Dev Team like he did with his first public jailbreak? Why would Musclenerd be working on a jailbreak that is totally separate if he had one that worked already?

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I do understand half of it, like said before the dev's always hold off and select the best way to go forward with 1 of the possibilities, keeping the other exploits for later jailbreaks.

With corona they elected to put the effort in pod2g exploit instead of MuscleNerd's earlier exploit, both used developer tools which they needed to evade to release to the public.

All the dev's are now twittering about i0nic's untethered exploit, in one of his last tweets he says his is the only untethered one. So it's not only the developer tools, MN and Chpwn only have a tethered version.

What ionic does or doesn't do isn't always a matter of instant public record.

My guess is they are now testing the jailbreak to look for bugs, they always do, is done by several people and it takes a bit of time, after that is done it will be turned over to one of the dev teams for a public release container.

He won't sit on it, he's just playing with everyone, that's his style.

9. BlueRaider macrumors regular