iPad 2 Keypad, Etc. - Touching Letters, but Getting Other Letters

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gayle, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Gayle macrumors newbie

Hi - I had the 1st generation iPad and then got the 2nd generation. With the first, I had off and on trouble with typing in one thing and getting something else altogether, but it would come and go. With the 2, I can't type anything on the screen that makes any sense and when I backspace to remove it, it also places all kinds of strange characters on the screen. I am extremely frustrated so would appreciate anything anyone can do. I did check that it's set to the QWERTY keyboard option so that's not the problem. I need help as the Genius Bar closest to me is an hour or so away. I have had it about 2 weeks and it has been going on almost from the beginning. I have re-set it a couple of times and that didn't help either. Please help. Thank you.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what you mean by "reset." I'd try a restore (connect to iTunes and click the "restore" button). If that is what you mean by "reset," and you've already done that, I'm afraid a trip to Apple is in order.

3. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The only problem I have had with mistaken letters is typing an "n" instead of the space bar. - on the iPad, happens frequently. However, with the garbled text, I did have the exact same experience today on my IPHONE.:confused: Now I am also wondering what's up with that.....wondering if it has anything to do with the recent ios update, and whether this has happened with anyone else??

I do have a suggestion that I will also try. Go to your Settings for the Keyboard, and switch OFF the "auto-correction" feature,see if that helps. Also, check to see that the USA Keyboard is your default; that ,set to a foreign language, could also perhaps be the cause of the problem.

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

Funny, I have been seeing the same 'n' problem and just thought I was hitting the keys too fast.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

yeah, every now and then I would try and type something on my iPhone and it wouldn't work or would type the letter next to it, even though I was hitting the right button!:(

6. Gayle thread starter macrumors newbie

Out of control

I have tried everything mentioned here and it's just out of control so I was on the phone with Apple all day yesterday trying different things. I now have an appt. tonight at the Genius Bar to have it replaced. I spoke with one of the highest level tech managers at Apple finally and he said he had never heard of this, but if you read about iPads online, you will see that many, many people have the problem. I will update once I have met with Apple tonight. Thanks for all the input.

7. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

Yes, please update... I am interested in what they have to say. I have never heard of this either :confused:

8. Gayle, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

Gayle thread starter macrumors newbie

iPAD 2 PROBLEM WITH KEYS NOT TYPING WHAT I TOUCHED

Hi --

Just a little update to the problem I posted earlier. I went to the Genius Bar last Monday night and of course it was fine there; however, they gave me a brand new one and tonight it's doing it again. I am just sick about having spent this much money on a gadget that doesn't work and is not dependable. I guess I'm stuck with it, but that means sometimes I can use it and sometimes I can't. Uggh! The one thought they could come up with is that one of my apps is corrupted and when I sync, it just goes back and forth between my iMac and the iPad. I really don't know how to correct that unless I begin removing the apps one at a time until I find that it no longer acts up, but can you imagine how long that would take - particularly because it doesn't necessarily act up right away - it may take a couple of days for it to refuse to "play nice". I did remove a few free ones tonight so I'll see how that works. Right now, it's okay, but 30 mins. ago, I couldn't do anything on it. I did sync it again, too, so that seemed to help. Extremely frustrating to say the least.

I have another dilemma since I removed some apps - now the ones remaining are strewn all over 5 screens and there are very few left. Does anyone know how to gather them together again on one screen? Thanks!

9. Hubert Brutal macrumors newbie

Such a strange issue... Good luck trying to find what's causing the problem, sorry the genius bar didn't help much :/

When you connect your iPad to iTunes click the iPad icon in your playlist under "Devices" like you would to see the syncing options. Go to the App tab and look to on the right side of the App window. You should see a simulated iPad screen. You should be able to click and drag multiple and single icons around the screen to where you want them. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry to hear the problem is still persisting. Just to check, when you brought home your replacement iPad, did you restore from backup or set it up as new? If you restored from backup, whatever was causing the problem in your old iPad could have been copied over to your new one. I'm thinking that the Genius would have told you to set it up as new, but just thought I'd check.