iPad (2) Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hazimwood, Dec 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hazimwood macrumors newbie

hazimwood

FYI for those trying to quantify life expectancy. I've had the iPad 2 since the spring of 2011 and its still going. Battery seems fine, the only issue I have is that it is weaker in picking up WiFi signals than the newer iPads. It is still used everyday for video streaming for hours on end (plugged in).

The reason I posted this is because I was trying to find the same sort of info for the iPad Air and Air 2 but couldn't find any "official" numbers on the matter. I manage a fleet of them so I will post any findings.

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Barring user damage or accident, the limiting factors are the battery and the home button going bad.

My ipad2 is still going strong...also purchased in 2011.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

love(d) my ipad2 dearly until IOS killed it from about 7 on wards. oh for hindsight. :(

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

My iPad 2 still functions fine. I don't use it that often, it's mostly a recipe lookup machine / kitchen multi timer and Netflix backup when needed.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Agree. iOS 9.3.5 is slow as molasses on my iPad 2.

6. hazimwood thread starter macrumors newbie

hazimwood

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I don't know if Apple "kills" devices so much as limitations in their hardware does. The iPad 2 has, what, 500 MB of RAM? And a fraction of the CPU and graphics processing power of a modern iPad. I agree that it's still fully capable for simpler tasks, especially on older (simpler) OS versions, but it's just the nature of technology that if a device's hardware is static then software will eventually become too demanding for it.

8. hazimwood thread starter macrumors newbie

hazimwood

Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime all day long still with no issues except that I don't have the WiFi range of the newer units. I don't run calculations on it the way the ones in my fleet are used for flight takeoff and landing calculations(AIR 1 & 2's). I would like to try it for guitar effects but fear exactly what you have mentioned, that the new apps might not work so well on it.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

The other day I was reading about how tablets are being used by pilots and it sounds pretty cool. I love seeing how versatile they can be.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

My launch day iPad 2 became useless once I put iOS 9 on it. My GF's launch day iPad 2 is still running iOS 7. Besides a bad battery, its still going strong.

11. Orange Computer macrumors member

We use iPad 2s as check in kiosks at my church. One has gotten a little wonky & will soon be replaced by an ipad 3, otherwise they are just fine.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

If at all possible, go for an iPad 4. iPad 3 is actually worse than the iPad 2 as it does not have the hardware to keep up with running the Retina display. The iPad 3 was only on sale for 6 months because of this. In many benchmarks it is slower than the iPad 2.

13. Timothy Leo Crowley macrumors member

I still use my iPad 2 every day. Mostly for Netflix/Amazon, light gaming (tapped out) and Facebook. All work fine except facebook freezes when trying to load anything outside of facebook and the home button is a little wonky. I think I can go another year before I upgrade.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Mine is on 7.1.2...not quite as speedy as iOS 6, but for FaceTime to work...you have to upgrade to at least 7.

15. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Gave my iPad 2 to my 7 yr old granddaughter, it works just fine for kid's games & apps

16. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Mine is still going strong. Grandkids play games with it all the time. Holds a charge fine. It does seem to be getting slower. I'm sure it's thanks to the OS updates.