Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

hazimwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Miami, Florida
FYI for those trying to quantify life expectancy. I've had the iPad 2 since the spring of 2011 and its still going. Battery seems fine, the only issue I have is that it is weaker in picking up WiFi signals than the newer iPads. It is still used everyday for video streaming for hours on end (plugged in).

The reason I posted this is because I was trying to find the same sort of info for the iPad Air and Air 2 but couldn't find any "official" numbers on the matter. I manage a fleet of them so I will post any findings.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Barring user damage or accident, the limiting factors are the battery and the home button going bad.

My ipad2 is still going strong...also purchased in 2011.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
My iPad 2 still functions fine. I don't use it that often, it's mostly a recipe lookup machine / kitchen multi timer and Netflix backup when needed.
[doublepost=1481210609][/doublepost]
love(d) my ipad2 dearly until IOS killed it from about 7 on wards. oh for hindsight. :(
Agree. iOS 9.3.5 is slow as molasses on my iPad 2.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't know if Apple "kills" devices so much as limitations in their hardware does. The iPad 2 has, what, 500 MB of RAM? And a fraction of the CPU and graphics processing power of a modern iPad. I agree that it's still fully capable for simpler tasks, especially on older (simpler) OS versions, but it's just the nature of technology that if a device's hardware is static then software will eventually become too demanding for it.

hazimwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
Miami, Florida
I don't know if Apple "kills" devices so much as limitations in their hardware does. The iPad 2 has, what, 500 MB of RAM? And a fraction of the CPU and graphics processing power of a modern iPad. I agree that it's still fully capable for simpler tasks, especially on older (simpler) OS versions, but it's just the nature of technology that if a device's hardware is static then software will eventually become too demanding for it.
Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime all day long still with no issues except that I don't have the WiFi range of the newer units. I don't run calculations on it the way the ones in my fleet are used for flight takeoff and landing calculations(AIR 1 & 2's). I would like to try it for guitar effects but fear exactly what you have mentioned, that the new apps might not work so well on it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime all day long still with no issues except that I don't have the WiFi range of the newer units. I don't run calculations on it the way the ones in my fleet are used for flight takeoff and landing calculations(AIR 1 & 2's). I would like to try it for guitar effects but fear exactly what you have mentioned, that the new apps might not work so well on it.

The other day I was reading about how tablets are being used by pilots and it sounds pretty cool. I love seeing how versatile they can be.

Reactions: hazimwood

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
My launch day iPad 2 became useless once I put iOS 9 on it. My GF's launch day iPad 2 is still running iOS 7. Besides a bad battery, its still going strong.

Orange Computer

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
We use iPad 2s as check in kiosks at my church. One has gotten a little wonky & will soon be replaced by an ipad 3, otherwise they are just fine.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
We use iPad 2s as check in kiosks at my church. One has gotten a little wonky & will soon be replaced by an ipad 3, otherwise they are just fine.

If at all possible, go for an iPad 4. iPad 3 is actually worse than the iPad 2 as it does not have the hardware to keep up with running the Retina display. The iPad 3 was only on sale for 6 months because of this. In many benchmarks it is slower than the iPad 2.

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
I still use my iPad 2 every day. Mostly for Netflix/Amazon, light gaming (tapped out) and Facebook. All work fine except facebook freezes when trying to load anything outside of facebook and the home button is a little wonky. I think I can go another year before I upgrade.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Gave my iPad 2 to my 7 yr old granddaughter, it works just fine for kid's games & apps

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Mine is still going strong. Grandkids play games with it all the time. Holds a charge fine. It does seem to be getting slower. I'm sure it's thanks to the OS updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.