IPad 2 Location trouble

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleGirl87, Dec 20, 2011.

1. AppleGirl87 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 64GB wifi only iPad 2 which I use with a mobile hotspot when I'm out. I had a doctor's appointment the other day and decided to take my iPad with me to see if my location services would work. My location services worked fine with my wireless hotspot.

However, when I got back home and into my house my iPad 2 was not able to determine my location. When I went into maps and pressed the location button it said "Location Cannot Be Determined".

So that evening I went outside and stood right outside of my house with my hotspot and my iPad was able to pick up my location. When I got back into the house it wasn't able to pick up my location again.

Today I had another appointment I had to go to and when I got there I was able to sign into their wifi network without my 3G and it picked up my location beautifully. However, when I returned back home my iPad still wasn't able to determine my location. Is there a problem with my actual router? I mean I tried going from a WEP to a WPA and a WPA2 connection but nothing worked. Do I need a new router? Can anybody help me? I have called Apple and they suggested trying a WPA or WPA2 connection but nothing worked.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Have you tried a reset of your network settings on your iPad?

Or resetting your router?

If neither of those work, try a hard reset of your iPad.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Were you able to get a location fix at home before, and now it's stopped working, or you never checked before whether it worked at home or not?

Location services using wifi depends on having nearby wireless routers that are registered with online location databases. These routers aren't necessarily the ones you are connected to, they just have to be near enough for your iPad to "sense" them. So it could be that when you are outside your home, your iPad is within range of a wireless router that is in the database, while your home router isn't.

4. AppleGirl87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you are saying but Apple isn't using SkyHook anymore. I registered my desktop with them but not my parents desktop.

----------

How do I reset my router?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't matter -- it's still determining your location using such methods as only the 3G iPads have GPS.

WEP vs WPA vs WPA2 is irrelevant. It's whatever database of WiFi hotspots and their locations that is being used that is the issue.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Just turn off the router (and modem), wait a few minutes, then turn back on.