iPad 2 - London - Three (3) UK slowwww net anyone???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Varoudis, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Varoudis macrumors member

hello,

I have 3 UK and I did a lot of tests (NW1 - between Monrington and Regent Park)...

Your experience?? You get what you pay??

Attached Files:

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I use a 3 PAYG sim on my iPad 1 (mostly around North London) and in my experience it is pretty good.

I have also tried PAYG sims from Orange & Vodaphone, and my iPhone is on O2, all of which have poorer coverage (in the locations I want to use my iPad) and are usually slow.

Bottom line is that you won't get screaming fast internet via the mobile networks in London - too overloaded.

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I picked up a 1GB pre pay from Argos last month for £4.50 to test 3 and I've been very impressed so far. Fast and reliable no matter where I've been in London, although the main reason I changed from O2 is that the service at work is non-existent.
    I've just used up the 1GB I've ordered a 12GB year long pre-pay (£44!) as a result. Won't miss O2's lack of coverage at all.

Should say I'm South of the River. Maybe things just work better down here ;)

4. Varoudis thread starter macrumors member

dont know what to say... completly different story here.

I used my iphone 3g with another 3 sim just to b sure that its not a problem with ipad and I got the same results.
    The only difference is that ipad has one bar less signal, while iphone is full (3.1.3). do you get the same signal with a 3.1.3 iphone?

Tasos

5. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    Been on 3 over a year, very fast speeds most of time, v good

6. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

When my contract with O2 finished in November I switched to T-Mobile on a 30-day rolling sim only deal. I was getting pretty poor speeds in the Manchester area, typically around 0.3Mbps. During that time I was also using a 3 sim in my 3G iPad and found that it was a lot faster. I also have a PAYG MiFi which was getting faster speeds.

Last week I bit the bullet and changed to a 1 year The One plan for my iPhone. This was mainly for the speed but also to tether my wifi only iPad 2 and MacBook Pro. I'm typically seeing speeds in excess of 1.5Mbps with a peak of 6.59Mbps which is a lot better than T-Mobile.