ipad 2 loosing wifi connection when screen goes off

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Arnezie, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ok I'm sure it's so simple but I teather my iPad 2 with my iPhone 4s and it connects fine however , when the screen shuts off on the iPad I loose the connection. So when I turn the screen back on I have to type in the password after selecting what to connect to all over again. What is the setting besides leaving the screen on all the time to get this to stop? If it matters both are running the most current software.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you tried using Bluetooth to tether the two?

3. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No I have not just wifi.

4. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

If the iPad shuts off that would mean you're not using it. So to conserve battery, the iPad will disconnect tether.

I don't use tether but i would turn off the pw feature (if its possible) to get it to connect automatically.

5. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ok the iPad doesn't shut off just the screen .

6. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Perhaps if you tighten the connection that will solve your problem?

7. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Just like a Canadian to point out the incorrect spellcheck word but not have an answer to the thread question. ;)

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wifi switches off as screen does, but Bluetooth pairings remain active due to their lower power state. Try that instead.

9. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Thank you , so it is supposed to do this. Is there no way around this? I will try the Bluetooth connection and see how that works.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

As previously stated it does this for power saving.

1. Use Bluetooth, I do. It stays active even when slept. Downside... It's slower, max about 1mbps. But I generally it's fast enough, but keep in mind if you decide to pull down some huge data.

2. Wifi full speed, 4-5mbps I get with AT&T 3G

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Theoretically Bluetooth 2.0 should push about 2.1 Mbps, but certainlyy WiFi is far less limited, as is the nature of a higher-powered radio.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR 3 Mbit/s 375 kB/s 2004
    --Wiki

You lose a lot in protocol overhead for encryption and robustness over airwaves.

Look up network topology layers. 1mbps is approx what user will see at highest level. But at he lower physical link layer data can reach that 3.1mbps. Protocol overhead in the form of encryption, error correction, and other robust was algorithms eat up bandwidth through all the other layers, particularly with wireless.