iPad 2 louder speakers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by No1up, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I'm just wondering if you honestly think any of us would have the answer to that....

You know, considering the iPad 2 isnt even out and all....

2. Yeah Man macrumors member

Lemme compare my iPad2 with my 1st generation iPad BRB.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yeah I am gonna echo what everyone else is saying, we just don't know yet.

The speaker area is bigger, which would could make it sound clearer, but the speaker holes are also pretty small and might just make it sound like the speaker on an old walkman.

I think Apple would at worst try to make it sound just as good as the 1st gen, but try to improve it if they could.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

dang...i guess i was wrong...:(

5. No1up thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, i didn't watch the ipad 2 vids, I was thinking maybe this was something some one might know, you know some one ... "in the know"

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Oh, i see what you were thinking. Way to be a good spot about it ;)

7. dacapo macrumors 6502

That was my concern too, after that infamous/fun thread about the iPad's thickness.

Maybe there is a sound engineer that can confirm/refute what I think, but I think the iPad 2 will have a thinner sound than the original iPad... simply because there will be less 'speaker cabinet' (resonance?) space in the new model.

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

How are the speakers in the first gen oriented? Facing the back? Or towards the holes?

9. No1up thread starter macrumors regular

I'm always a good spot, unless your a xoom loving hippie

10. kmanmx macrumors 6502

No offence to the OP or anything, it's a question that i can understand why people would want an answer too.

But good sounding speakers need large enclosures (especially for lower frequencies), large and expensive drivers, and a solid consistent power supply.

The ipad, any other tablet, phone or laptop does not have any of these features. Notice how bigger laptops have better sound ? it's simple, they have bigger enclosures so can create deeper notes, so they sound 'fuller', and the tinnyness that people correctly associate with bad sound quality is lessened.

Sure, they could probably make the iPad 2 speaker louder, but it could damage the speaker and be even more horribly distorted than the first one. This isn't a bash at apple, it's physics, you just can't do it. If they prioritised sound over battery life or something else so they could give it a larger enclosure inside the case, then yes, it could sound better and louder. But how likely are they to do that ? it's not going to happen.

That all said, there are a few ways that you can increase speakers loudness. It has negatives, such as making it sound a bit weird and not quite how it should, but it does make it louder.

11. No1up thread starter macrumors regular

I was just asking :( why you gotta make me feel bad?

12. kmanmx macrumors 6502

I did say no offence to the OP (you!) ;)

I was just giving you a helpful in depth answer so you are not dissapointed when the iPad 2 speaker sounds the same, of if you are thinking optimistically, atleast not significantly better.

13. No1up thread starter macrumors regular

will it sound better then those xoom loving hippie's tablet?

14. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Good! And i meant to say sport*

15. redman042 macrumors 68020

A number of reviewers tried to determine this during the preview that happened after the keynote, but it was far too loud in the room and no one could tell.

So we'll have to wait until the 11th on this one...

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I am a bit worried about this.

I think everyone would like the sound output to be better on the iPad2 than iPad1. I mean who would actually wish it to be worse?

First, there will be a fundamental problem with the iPad2 speaker in one scenario and unfortunately for me it's a scenario that's quite common and that's placing the iPad onto a soft surface such as a soft cushion, pillow or bed cover/duvet.

The iPad 2 wil only have to "sink into the surface" of what's it's resting on by about 5mm and the speaker holes will be totally covered by the soft surface.

I like to often use the iPad either laying on top of the bed, or propped up on a pillow late at night to play a game, in my instance I expect the sound will be far worse due to what I have described above. My only option will be to get perhaps a hardback book, or perhaps a plastic board/chopping board, to use as a rigid base to place the iPad onto, to stop it sinking those few mm down and blocking the speaker holes.

Ok, that's a fundamental issue.

My other concern, and I pray I'm wrong here is the size of the holes.
    Like with a air fan, and speakers at home, it's amazing how much air/sound you block by putting something, a grill, in the path of the sound/air.

Even removing a lightweight fabric speaker cover from a home speaker can make it sound different.
    What you want it the least, in this case, metal to hole ratio you can get away with. There is a larger area, but also there's a lot more metal than their is hole.

If you think about it. On any normal grill, you have large holes with a fine wire between the holes to hold it together.

Personally I would of liked to have seen large slots in the main case with large holes, and then, on the inside surface a finer mesh, just to stop the dust getting in.

The way it's been done is cheaper and does not require the extra part internally, the mesh.

Of course, as has been said, we don't know, but it would be a great shame if it's worse than the original.

If I get iPad2 and I still have iPad1 I will be testing this out fully and happy to share my findings whatever they will be.

17. kmanmx macrumors 6502

It really doesn't bother me. iPad has a pretty good headphone output that i will definitely use the majority of time.