iPad 2 mirroring w/HDMI adapter

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mturner04, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mturner04 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just purchased the hdmi adapter for my iPad 2 and had a question about the screen size when the iPad is mirrored to a 1080p tv. I noticed that most videos and screen images maintain a black box around the ipad image, but every once in a while I stumble across a video that will utilize the full 16:9 screen size of the HD TV (for example videos on CNet seem to expand the image nicely). Why does this occur for only some videos and is there a way to manually expand the image on the tv? I am looking to watch NHL games through the NHL Gamecenter iPad app and onto my tv, but for this app there is a black box around the video image. Any help with this would be hugely appreciated!!

Mike

2. stevepork macrumors newbie

Tv

This could be down to your tv, try messing with the settings (make sure you can still watch tv)

Hope this helps!

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Does that adapter output everything, or just when you have specific apps open?
    I am looking to output my iPad 2 screen to my LED TV but I've yet to find an adapter that is similar to what they use at apple keynotes.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Probably but we're not psychic and you haven't posted any info regarding your TV. Refer to your TV's manual.

It can't output everything as it is HDCP compliant.

5. Dhelsdon, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Does that mean Apple used something that wasn't HDCP compliant when they did their keynote?

Edit: Nevermind, I watched a video on youtube of the HDMI adapter being used, it functions as I expected.

6. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

When you're mirroring your iPad2 to the TV screen, you see the exact same pixels as what's on your iPad2's screen. And since your iPad2 isn't 1920x1080 resolution (it's only 1024x768), you see a smaller image with black bars all the way around.

Videos which fill your screen do so because the apps playing those videos are taking advantage of a feature called AirPlay. You can mirror anything to your TV, but not all apps implement and utilize AirPlay.