iPad 2 multitasking

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
I still have an original iPad 2 running iOS 9.1. I have read somewhere that I can still do one type of the new split screen multitasking, but not sure which one and how to do it.

Could someone help please?

Thank you.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I still have an original iPad 2 running iOS 9.1. I have read somewhere that I can still do one type of the new split screen multitasking, but not sure which one and how to do it.

Could someone help please?

Thank you.
You can swipe over so you have the iPhone-sized sidebar over another app; it will pause the background app until you swipe it away. You can't resize it or run apps side by side though.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
You can swipe over so you have the iPhone-sized sidebar over another app; it will pause the background app until you swipe it away. You can't resize it or run apps side by side though.
So do you swipe from left to right to do this?

Which is the lowest spec iPad that will do all of the multi-task features?

Thank you.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
So do you swipe from left to right to do this?

Which is the lowest spec iPad that will do all of the multi-task features?

Thank you.
From the right edge to the left; an app has to be open for it to work.

The iPad Air 2, Mini 4, and Pro are, I believe, the only iPads capable of using the full suite of multitasking features.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Oh I stand corrected, excuse me. I had an iPad mini 2 on iOS 9 and it couldn't do the split screen, it could only do slide over. I assumed it was the same for the 4.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
The iPad 2 can do very little on iOS9, or at least with acceptable performance.

I can't imagine it being supported in iOS10 and suspect it's only lasted this long as lots and lots of education establishments have them. It's been a good run for a tablet, but it's coming to an end...

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Time to upgrade to the iPad with the best screen ever ;)
I just saw that a bit earlier about the iPad mini screen being better than the Pro, nice. I'd upgrade, but the A7 to A8 processor isn't a big enough of an upgrade for me. The iPad mini 2 was a huge upgrade on the first, retina display and 2 generations processor jump. The A8 is even in the iPod touch. For me to upgrade they'd need to upgrade to at least a 500 PPI screen.