Ipad 2, news, the daily vs....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by h00ligan, Mar 19, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Looking for a good 'paper'. I have a ton of daily rss, and frankly I don't want more.

I don't like things like clipboard and pulse which constantly load web pages, and require scrolling, have adverts in the loaded pages...or worse load rss summaries and then another link to the full page.

So then, what are you all using for daily news? I recognize that a large portion of the daily content is at least based on ap..

The daily actually runs respectably on the iPad 2

No access to past issues from within iPad if you miss/skip a day (I really think archives should be available for at least 30 days).

The daily is $40 a year, and while I haven't seen any serious bias (pretty much all of them except BBC are well biased) it is a Rupert Murdoch publication, so maybe they are on their best behaviour right now to get more subscribers.

Overall, I don't hate the format...what else is there which may be better or free? To clarify, I don't mind ads in general, what I don't like is loading webpages with ads rom inside an app...at that point I may as well fire up a browser.

2. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I really enjoy the experience of flipboard. I even sometimes add the MR forum to it and it's interesting reading the latest random forum post in that manner. Obviously the optimized sites for the app do a better job, but even reading rss feeds in that manner are better IMO. This app + cup of coffee in the morning is a must :)

3. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Get the app called pulp. It's the best looking one and works well.

4. Cha macrumors regular

For my daily newspaper feel... I turn to the Wall Street Journal app and the USA Today app. I will be giving The Daily a test run for at least a year subscription.

I understand your feeling about RSS feeds, but give Zite a try. The app does a nice job presenting the RSS feeds.

Unfortunately, the newspapers apps do have full screen ads every so often...

5. WMuntean macrumors regular

I'm also interested in this. I use Zite and find that its quite personalized. I might consider Pulp if it overcomes Zite's short comings, however, I'm exceptionally pleased with Zite's customer service.

If you have a ton of RSS readers, what would you recommend?

6. h00ligan, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

The thing about the rss, is opening a container, then a headline, then loading a page with ads, scrolling to read rather than a quick flip, then closing the page, then going back to the news index...

That's a lot of steps.

I'm using newsrack on iPad to read and reeder on iPhone. I actually didn't care for reeder iPad.

I'll try pulp, flip book left me dry for rss reading, far too random. I actually think their layout was wy too cluttered for my taste. I'll try it one more time though..people seem to love it.

I tried site briefly, will try again as well. Nyt weirdo pay wall and cost is putting me off. USA today so far is the best free paper I've found. I also use BBC, but their ui absolutely sucks IMO.

Thx for the convo, keep the recs coming!

Edit

Prime example. Dl and configure zite, browse, find article I want to read, read intro, click more..popup to open safari to load page, next, next, next, next, give up and switch back to zite..back to index. Don't want that experience..want to read, move to next item of interest.

I'm not suggesting it's their fault, i think it's a problem inherent with aggregating 'free' content.

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Have you thought about using Instapaper and sending the articles you like to that App and reading from Instapaper. I find it much better than most RSS readers even tho I admit I use Reeder most of the time. Instapaper gives you a unique reading experience much like a paper.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does Pulp allow for offline reading?

I want an app that I can refresh while on WiFi at home, and take with me to work (no WiFi).

9. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Yah, I've thought about trying it that way.

Here's the idea. I use rss for tech, mma, photography news articles, things I can glance through and decide to read or not.

What I want in a paper is more local and world news, rather than subscription based. I'm not staying nearly in tune enough tbh, living in my world of tech and photography. :/