iPad 2 no 3G after iOS 5 update

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by valdim, Oct 13, 2011.

1. valdim macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just installed iOS 5 on my iPad 2. I keep getting the notification "Cellular Data Account" when I try to access the web. I click on "Now" and and I get "Cannot Open Page", I never got this with iOS 4. I'm in New Zealand on Telecom XT network and I have full reception. I got a error message "No carrier update" or something like that when installed iOS 5. I bought the iPad up front so its unlocked. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated!

2. TuiSong macrumors regular

I'm on Vodaphone in NZ and just tested after reading this, my 3G is working just fine after the update. I didn't realise telecom had an iPad data plan. Will need to compare some day

3. valdim thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the error message I got.

iTunes could not check for an update to the carrier settings for your iPad. An unknown error occurred (1635)

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.

4. TuiSong macrumors regular

Did you check that your cellular data settings were all still the same? this update pretty much wiped the iPad clear and restored it all again. there were quite a few apps that i had to put back on because the restore from back up still missed them

5. valdim thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Vodafone does have the better data plans. For $50 on Vodafone you get 3GB on Telecom you only get 2GB. The only thing about Vodafone is the reception isn't as good as Telecom XT in the smaller cites. There's a link underneath for the different plans, you just go on the mobile broadband plans and get a micro sim. It has been working fine for me up until now.

http://www.telecom.co.nz/internet/mobilebroadband/plansandpricing/prepaid

----------

Yeah I added the APN settings after I updated.

6. TuiSong macrumors regular

I wonder if it is worth just checking if it is an XT network issue. Got any other phones, or anything to check on. The trouble with NZ is that there's just not enough people posting about things if something is going wrong. So google doesn't turn up much help on how to fix it. I think I'll stick to vodaphone, I only buy it every few months when we know we're going to be away from wifi a lot anyway. I barely even use the 250mb plan I'm on

7. Gedkiwi macrumors newbie

APN settings deleted

Hi - I have an iPad 1 - and had the same issue. Tracked it down to the fact that the upgrade to IOS 5 had deleted my APN settings. To fix it, I went to settings, then to cellular data, and then to the APN settings. I put the correct Telecom XT APN in - which is "internet.telecom.co.nz". No need to put in a username or password.

Once I'd done that I stopped getting the messages, and could connect simply.

Hope this helps.

8. valdim thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I had internet.telecom.nz. For some reason I missed out the ".co" Thanks for your help!

9. ChocoMan macrumors member

ChocoMan

iOS 5 killed cellular data functionality.

same problems here in Germany. :-(

iOS 5 killed cellular data functionality.

any solutions are very welcome.

restored, reset, etc... nothing works.

10. gregf2 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 1 as well & had same issue - I did the above (as had similar problem with previous upgrade) but still can't connect via 3G, get same message about not being connected to a cellular plan, & get same unknown error (1635) when try & update via usb connection to iTunes. Any other clues?

11. RcNorth macrumors newbie

Same problem in Canada

There is definitely something wrong with the OS. After upgrading to ios 5 I couldn't connect to a 3G network either. When I used my Bell card it just kept saying searching and nonetwork. I tried my Rogers card and could connect, but only over Edge.

After a lot of reseaching and trips to the Bell store for help I decided to restore my iPad to new. After resetting the iPad back to a new state I was able to connect. Ia 3G again, but now I didn't have any of my apps or settings. So I tried a restore from the last backup. The problem came back, no 3G.

I needed apps and settings more than3g, so restored my backup. Now I am using either Edge, or bluetooth tether until ican figure out how to get both.

I did try the reset network settings and rebooting device and all the other ideas people had. None of the worked for me.

If I figure something out, I will be sure to post the results.

12. ChocoMan, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  13. GGg621-Ice macrumors newbie

Ipad 3G wifi fixed?

Hi guys, I'm from Malaysia and I had the same problem with the non- 3G thing going my iPad but I think I had found a way to activate it. Sadly to say u need a jail broken iPad and u need to download bbsettings from Cydia. Which there is a 3G icon for u to click on and there... Ur 3G will be working fine:)

14. Felty macrumors newbie

Great advice & thanks. It certainly fixed my problem. The IOS 5 had obviously deleted the Telecom APN!!