iPad 2 - "No SIM"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dangerous Theory, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Dangerous Theory, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

In the past two days my iPad 2 3G has randomly changed the signal status to No SIM. I haven't tried leaving it to see if it changes back, but switching it off and on again immediately resolves the problem.

It's not happening frequently so hasn't become a problem yet but I'm curious if anyone else has had the issue, or if anyone knows why? Could it a sim or iOS issue? I have iOS 5.

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

Maybe clean the sim card. I have had that happen on some phones and clearing the dust usually does the trick. If that doesn't work you could get a new one.

3. sideswipe macrumors newbie

This happened to me, my iPad had to be replaced.

4. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Was it as little often as mine or very consistent? Would love to hear a bit more detail. Thanks!

5. stardustsa2012 macrumors newbie

This happened to me a few weeks ago.
    No sim just popped up randomly and did not go away.
    I tried the following -
    Clean the sim, tried a new sim, backup and re-install ios, googled it and tried a few fixes.
    I rang apple and they confirmed that i had tried everything, the next step was for a collection and repair or take it back to an Apple Shop, i took it back to the Apple shop and they replaced with a brown box Ipad.

6. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Did it completely stop working at once or did you get No SIM occasionally before it finally died? It's just happened to me a third time in three days and it fixed immediately by switching airplane mode on then off. I would liked know if this problem is likely to get worse though.

7. stardustsa2012 macrumors newbie

Well the message appeared out of the blue - first thing i did was restart then turn off/on cellular a few times and it started working again for a few hours, next day No Sim again, tried the method again and cleaned the sim - it started working for around 5 mins then back to No Sim.. and continued like that for 5 day's until i got it replaced.
    So be warned it may appear again!

8. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, it's just become a lot more common in the past half hour - happened like 10 times and sometimes airplane mode wouldn't fix it. I have a feeling this fault is developing exponentially! What a pain for a 6 day old iPad...

9. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know, but it seemingly hasn't happened for a whole day. I can't really expect Apple to replace it if the fault isn't easily replicable or constant, so I guess time will tell...

10. mrtannn macrumors newbie

11. Khaps77 macrumors newbie

Same thing

I have the same error. AT&T offered me 190 on trade and apple reset it and did their thing and said I would need a new one if I want 3G. Works fine with wifi. Probably gonna sell on Craigslist. Seems to be ok market for 64g