iPad 2 (not air) and iOS security

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Danyall2010, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Danyall2010 macrumors newbie

Dear Forum Members,

By now, we all know that the iPad 2 will not support iOS 10. The question is how secure will this device be after this general release and that iOS 9.3 will no longer be supported? I know that third party applications, such as Microsoft Office, bank apps, and other apps will probably be supported for another year or two on this iOS. Are there credible anti virus and anti malware programs out there to protect me?

I was thinking of picking up a iPad Air 2 somewhere along the line. How long do you think support for that device will be? Also, if I decide to get a iPad Mini 2, how long do you think support will last for that device? I know the Mini 2 will get iOS 10, but will it get the 11?

I also feel bad for the original iPad Mini owners because that will not get an upgrade. Those devices sold until June 2015. I hope Apple does something for them. The customers who brought the device in 2015 had only one upgrade and paid $269 for the device.

In the end, hopefully Apple can provide a security only upgrade for the IPad 2 and the original iPad Mini that will allow the devices to last one more year!

Thank you for your time!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In terms of security, iOS devices are pretty secure. I wouldn't be very concerned, even for devices that don't get any more OS updates. I can't remember which device/iOS, but I think there was once when a serious security flaw was found, and Apple pushed out a security update for older devices not supported by the latest iOS. Maybe another forum member can confirm whether this actually happened or I'm misremembering something. In any case, there is no anti-virus apps for iOS, because a functional anti-virus app would require a level of system access not allowed by the App Store.

So my advice would be not to worry, and just keep using older devices on the latest supported iOS version until you find that the apps you want no longer run on them.

3. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

This is good advice.

I still had an iPad 2 and iPad 3 (Retina) in service until a few weeks ago. Obviously neither would be supported by iOS10, but the real problem was just apps crashing on them. Even after resets, etc.

So, I don't think the usable life of an iPad 2 is impacted by security exposures, or even lack of compatibility with apps that do/will require >iOS 10, rather just general weaker GPU and RAM performance.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

The devices were the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th generation running iOS 6.1.6 while the rest got iOS 7.0.6.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No matter what device or iOS you are using, I would not do any banking or other sensitive work when using public WiFi.

6. Danyall2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback! I am leaning on keeping it in service for another year. After that, I will downgrade this to a backup device. Also, I realize that even with a new iOS, it can be buggy and sometimes, there is gaps in security. By the end of the existing iOS' life, many of the bugs would of been fixed. I will keep an eye on this forum for more advice. This seems like a pretty good forum.

I also have a iPhone 5c that I will keep for another year. Hopefully, 2017 will be the year that I will replace them both.

Downloading iOS 9.3.5, as we speak!

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Don't feel too bad for the people who bought an iPad mini last year. The original came out in 2012 and received three major updates. Anyone who bought one last year should have known they were buying a three year old device.

8. Math889 macrumors 65816

9. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Apple is at a Turning point and I speculate that the iPad Pros both sizes will get ALOT of Updates. And at some point there will be a Cutoff at that point you might be encouraged to Upgrade. But that will not be for a while.
    Also they have to Cut off the iPad Air 2 based on CPU and RAM at some point DDR3 and the 1.5Ghz CPU will be a bottle neck.

Look for only 2GB DDR4 RAM Devices with Dual Core 2+ Ghz devices to be worth it for Developers and for Apple.

10. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Unless you can get a good deal, I wouldn't buy a mini 2. The Air 2 is a good tablet still, mine works well. Just taking a stab at it the mini 2 will probably get iOS 11, and the Air 2 should get up to iOS 12 and possibly 13. It really all depends on what Apple makes the cutoff criteria for future iOS versions. This year was all A5 devices, which coincidentally have 512MB of RAM. I would assume iOS 11 will cut off support for 32 bit devices (all A6). iOS 12 will be tricky as you could just say no A7 devices, or no to all devices with 1GB of RAM; which would kill off the iPhone 6/6+ as well. Just so odd that those phones came with 1GB of RAM as every other A8 device release has 2GB of RAM (Air 2, mini 4, and Apple TV 4).