iPad 2 not charging in flight

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rdroyce, May 29, 2011.

1. Rdroyce macrumors newbie

May 29, 2011
    I just took a long international flight on a Delta 777 which had power outlets even in economy class. However, when plugging in my iPad using the power adapter that it came with the device didn't seem to charge. It didn't say "not charging" but the battery indicator didn't show it to be charging either. Did I just get a bad seat charger.
  2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2010
    Cheshire, UK
    There are numerous posts on these forums about iPad charging requirements. Browse/search for those.
  3. macDelirium macrumors member

May 16, 2011
    Strange. I dont know the answer but I'm looking forward to getting some updates in this thread as I have a very lengthy international flight ahead of me in a few minths.
  4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006
    It's likely not charging when the iPad is on, but when you sleep it it will charge. So, there's likely not enough energy coming out of the seat charger, and this is common.
  5. maliu macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2010
    There isn't enough power in the airline charge ports to charge the iPad. However, it will run it without further discharge. That's my understanding from when I researched it awhile back. I can't provide a reference at the moment to support my findings, but thats exactly what happened when I plugged in my iPad.