iPad Ipad 2 ok for young teens?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by itzme, Nov 6, 2013.

1. itzme macrumors newbie

Hi, my son had his kindle stolen, and I wanted to replace it. I saw that on ebay if I watched the auctions I could get an iPad 2 for almost the same money as a fire. Bought two iPad 2's (one came with a life proof case which I had always wanted though did not because of the price-I bought so I could put on my iPad 4).

So they come in the mail, they are nice, certainly ok for kids, was thinking of giving to them for Christmas.

Next day I see that Target is giving 200 trade in for iPads.

My question should I trade in the iPad 2's for two iPad mini's? I would get a new warranty, but the processor and screen are the same.

To add, they mostly would use it for kindle, browsing, youtube and mine craft.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

How much did you pay for the iPad 2? If it's break even after the Target trade-in and whatever extra you have to shell out for the Mini, I'd go Mini for the warranty.

3. itzme thread starter macrumors newbie

i only paid 120 each for them, and one of them came with a life proof case, a apple smart case a speck folio case and a bluetooth keyboard, so I could keep those for my iPad 4. I guess I could make the mini for their christmas present and make their day.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'd say they are OK. Although a bit heavy, it does feel "solid". IF you can comfortably upgrade to the mini, then that would be nice as well. There is a new retina mini coming out in a week or two. So I'm not sure what the price of the existing minis would be in comparison.

For the tasks you mention, the iPad 2 would work just fine. I play minecraft with my son - he has an android(same innerds as the nexus 7 - 2012) and I play on the iPad2. Both have a blast.

5. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I think it would be worth the extra $100 for each to upgrade to a brand new iPad mini with warranty.

Part of the reason I say that is that the batteries in the iPad 2s are probably already 2 years old and out of warranty and I think it costs $100 to replace the battery.

That being said, the iPad 2 is still a good device and completely useable...just the warranty and new battery would be worth paying extra for I think :)

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Would like to point out you can get a refurb Mini for $250. The box does say refurbished but once they take the Mini out of the box, it'll work the same anyway and you still get the new battery and 1-year warranty.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

OP is looking to use the target $200 trade in offer for older iPads. So (s)he might be limited to target inventory on the tradeup.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

True but if OP normally shops at Target anyway, or plans to do other holiday shopping there, it's possible to use the $400 gift card on other items and get the iPads from Apple. Hmm, can you use Target gift cards to buy Apple Store gift cards?

9. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Get Retina Mini,

Those old screens cause eye strains after prolonged period of use.

Pretty sure your teens eyes are worth that little extra expense...

10. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I vote new Mini. They'll love it more because it's new, and that's reason enough. ;)

11. itzme thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to keep the ipad 2's. They seem fine and battery seems fine so I'll take the chance with gem breaking. At 120$ I won't cry if they don't last forever. Plus I don't have to buy new cases.

12. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

No, you can only buy them online or in the store.

13. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Have him work for it and when he fills his money jar he gets a new ipad. :D

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

nope. outside stores only have iTunes gift cards. not Store ones

16. Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

If he is a boy i would get a new ipad.

If I as a young boy wanted to play nice games I would feel like cartman in southpark getting the handypad

http://youtu.be/gl7-avnYRps

"Mom you have a lipstick? Cause I atleast want to look pretty when you f... Me"

Ipad 2 will not run the "real" games

Oh ...and wrap it in otterbox and turn on find my ipad. Maybe even give the kid a kensington proximo.

17. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

iPad 2 ok for young teens? Yes I guess so, but they said that about a Jimmy Saville.

Google it :(

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

WTF? :confused:

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Sure. It's not as pretty looking a display as the 3+ but it works.

or get a 1st Gen Mini which is easier to carry in the hands, more suitable in some ways for movement based games. And with the same resolution as a 2 in a physically smaller screen, has better DPI than the iPad 2 so the screen looks better even though it's not retina. And the processor is a bit better