Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Has anyone noticed Safari issues when browsing on a 5GHZ band? I have a turbo connection with Time Warner + DIR-825 router, but a lot of webpages get hung out (do not properly load) when I am browsing on my iPad2.. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time to use it, or really compare it that much with 2.4GhZ. Any reason a 5ghZ would be slower on iPad?

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
the 5ghz band is much more prone to attenuation than the 2.4ghz band, including via flesh. Are you moving your hands on the iPad while the page is loading? Maybe you are inadvertently blocking the signal.

At my house, at least, the 5ghz network isn't reliable unless the router is in the same room as the device.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Yes I've heard of those issues, but I'm literally 5 feet away from the router, no obstructions. Speed tests aren't that accurate but pages seem to be loading on 2.4 much better (more reliable). I'd have to guess downloading Apps is quicker on 5Ghz tho. Maybe I'll have to switch when downloading vs. browsing.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I've been using my iPad 2 connected to a 5ghz network for nearly a month and have never had any issues.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I noticed pages on all of my iOS devices running very slowly when I switched my Time Capsule over to 2.4 Ghz. I couldn't take any more so I turned off N 2.4Ghz. Everything is running much better now.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I've been using my iPad 2 connected to a 5ghz network for nearly a month and have never had any issues.

I've been running my iPads on a 5GHz network since December and haven't had any abnormal Safari lag that I can tell.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Must just be Facebook.. But then again i don't have issues loading it on 5G with my MBP..

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Has anyone noticed Safari issues when browsing on a 5GHZ band? I have a turbo connection with Time Warner + DIR-825 router, but a lot of webpages get hung out (do not properly load) when I am browsing on my iPad2.. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time to use it, or really compare it that much with 2.4GhZ. Any reason a 5ghZ would be slower on iPad?

i am having the exact same issues on the 5GHZ band. A quote from another post I made :
".....just doing a general net search and found your post right here. this probably answers my question as to why with my dual-band wifi network setup, the iPad will only maintain full-bar signal strength on my n/b/g (2.4 GHZ) network, but not so much on my "n", 5 GHZ "

And
"I still find it perplexing that my connectivity is spotty on my "n" network. It will keep fluctuating between 1/2 bars. I've seen suggestions on using Open DNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) on the Ipad settings of for that ("n") router."

These results are consistent on a daily basis, has been true for the past year, even with my first iPad, and again now with the 2nd gen device:( I find it more of an annoyance than anything else, but on my 2.4 I can literally be way on the other side of the house, and still get full bars; on the 5 GHZ I don't get that even in the same room as my Apple Airport Extreme.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.