Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I'm currently on 5.1.1.
Shall I stay on that or upgrade to 6.1?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Yeah, on my Mini I actually noticed a bit of a speed increase on day to day things. I think they improved the WiFi issue even more from 6.0.2.

So far, I would be happy if they didn't put anything else into 6.x until 7 comes out.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
ipad2 on 5.1.1 JB

no plans to upgrade to iOS 6.x at any time. all my apps work fine and i want to continue to enjoy the extra benefits of the jailbreak - custom gestures, easier to read fonts, password protected app folders, etc.

i use the ipad for light web browsing, VPN, RDP, reading, movies, and for an occasional song or two - iOS 6 doesn't improve on these features, so why upgrade? 6.x supported features for the ipad2 is minimal and mostly just adds bloat. YMMV.

I'm currently on 5.1.1.
Shall I stay on that or upgrade to 6.1?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
ipad2 on 5.1.1 JB

no plans to upgrade to iOS 6.x at any time. all my apps work fine and i want to continue to enjoy the extra benefits of the jailbreak - custom gestures, easier to read fonts, password protected app folders, etc.

i use the ipad for light web browsing, VPN, RDP, reading, movies, and for an occasional song or two - iOS 6 doesn't improve on these features, so why upgrade? 6.x supported features for the ipad2 is minimal and mostly just adds bloat. YMMV.

The iOS 6.x jailbreak is slated to be released on Super Bowl Sunday.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I waited awhile to update my iPad 2 to iOS 6, primarily due to reports of poor battery life. Honestly it was a bunch of bunk. Battery life is better for me than it was running iOS 5. Performance wise it runs the same on iOS 6 as it did on iOS 5.

There's really no reason not to upgrade unless you want to keep the some of the original wallpapers, Youtube and Google Maps apps. If none of that matters to you then you should be real happy with iOS 6.

One thing I always do with a major update is to do a hardware reset after the OS install. :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
No difference that I can see with respect to either battery life or performance from iOS 5 to 6 on my iPad 2. Both remain excellent.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
My mother's iPad 2, and my iPad mini have seen absolutely zero decrease in performance since it 6.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.