iPad 2 or iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wanted797, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

I'm a University student and this past semester I decide that and iPad would be the way to go. I haven't bought one yet and with my Birthday in Decemeber and Christmas coming up my girlfriend has said she wants to get me one. However now I am at a dilemma as to what to do.

If she was to get me one, I told her she's not aloud to go spending the extra money on the 3G model. So it would be the base 16GB Wifi I got.
    (Im not exactly sure if I would use 3G as almost everywhere I go I has Wifi)

I also know the iPad is due for update early next year (buyers guide suggests only if you need one) so would it be stupid to let her buy me one? and just buy the new one next year myself. After all university is finished for the year and starts next February so I don't really need it until then.

Basically I like the idea of getting it for free of course (even though ill spend the same one her lol) and having it sooner but I also like the idea of a iPad 3 with the 3G and going to my first product launch.

The only other thing bugging me is I tend to talk myself out of buying expensive things I want lol making me think if i waited i could end up just not getting it all cause of my cheapness.

Any suggestions?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a similar dilemma but it's a matter of whether to buy an iPhone 4s or the iPad. Here in the US, there aren't a lot of prepaid options for cell phones and since I don't use my phone that much, it makes no sense to pay for a 2 year contract. I don't like my android phone though. Also, I think I would probably use the iPad more than the iPhone and, since wifi isn't all that prevalent here and I would really like the GPS feature, the 3g version makes most sense for me.

So, they would be almost the same price and here the data plan for iPad is only $25 a month. Since I only pay $25 a month for my prepaid cell phone plan and since T-Mobile's prepaid plan is $50 a month, if I continue to use my android phone and buy an iPad, I won't have any increase in my monthly payments.

In the end, I don't know what I'm going to do. Apple is supposed to release the unlocked iPhone in November, so I'll wait until they do to see if Virgin Mobile carries it.

The appeal of the iPad is the mapping feature and since Apple just bought that 3D mapping company, it might make sense for me to wait until iPad 3 comes out. It looks really, really cool and potentially very useful for me. I've also never been to a product launch and it might be sort of cool to finally do so.

In the end, I don't need an iPad or an iPhone right now so I'll at least wait until the unlocked iPhone is released next month and make my decision then. If I do decide to get an iPad this year, I could always sell the old one to get the new one.

3. ibis99 macrumors regular

I would wait for iPad 5. No wait iPad 6!...7...8, no wait for sure iPad 43 will be the best.

4. monkeylui macrumors 6502

Get the iPad 2. I don't see a point in waiting. You'll get your money's worth if & when there is an iPad 3 released. Which I would say is 5-6 months it anyway. I don't mind reading rumors, but I don't. Eleven anything until apple announces it. You are not hurting yourself @ all by investing in an iPad 2 now. Even when the iPad 3 comes out you could sell your iPad 2 for enough to pay for quite a bit of the iPad 3. Gazelle is a great place to sell back electronics.

5. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

It's now march 27th 2012 ip3 been out for 11 days
    Which did you get.
    Btw ip3 is awesome !