All iPads iPad 2 or iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KingBenneth, Oct 24, 2013.

1. KingBenneth, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

KingBenneth macrumors newbie

Hi, can someone help me quickly? I am trying to buy a second hand iPad 2 for my other half. Her netbook is on the way out so she will be using it for browsing, playing some games (The Simpsons Town Tapped Out, PvZ, PvZ2), Facebook, Pinterest.

I was offered an iPad 2 16GB WiFi mint condition for £165 delivered which I accepted. The seller has since PMed me and said that he is taking pain killers and has only just realised it's an iPad 3 16GB WiFi.

I've double checked the serial number and it's an iPad 3. The seller has said I can have it for £190 delivered. What should I do? Should I accept the iPad 3 for £190 or carry on looking for an iPad 2? I am getting the iPad Air next week but for her, I am not 100% sure on what to do! Can anyone help me please?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

If I were you I would get the three. Its newer and has a nicer display. Good luck! :)

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I never owned an iPad 3, but what I've read online the processor has a hard time pushing so many pixels of the Retina display in the iPad 3, so essentially the iPad 2 should still run smoothly since it doesn't have a retina display.

But the iPad 2 doesn't have a retina display and if the main purpose is for reading, it might be a little harder on the eyes.

4. KingBenneth thread starter macrumors newbie

This is why I'm in two minds about the iPad 3. I have heard a lot of good things about the iPad 2, I mean, Apple are still stocking it, people are still buying it. The iPad 3 got replaced quickly with the iPad 4 and that doesn't make the iPad 3 look good. I've never bought an older iPad so I don't know! :eek:

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

The iPad 3 has 1GB of ram (twice the iPad 2) so it will probably last longer with updates, etc. Though some people say that it's kind of underpowered for the retina display—a point backed up by the fact that Apple only sold it for 6 months so it was seen as more of a stop-gap measure to make it to market with a retina display before competitors. Never had one myself so I'm not sure.

6. KingBenneth thread starter macrumors newbie

She plays on her Dad's iPad when he visits and he has an iPad 2. She plays on her Simpsons Town on his iPad and it runs pretty smooth from what I've seen. I've never seen/played with an iPad 3 so not 100% sure on it.

7. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Anyone that still buys an iPad 2 at full Retail is either ignorant or just plain nuts.

You can buy an iPad Mini w/Retina Display for the same price, with an extremely improved processor over the 2.

As for buying an iPad 2 or 3 from a third party, the easy answer is the 3, by far.

Retina Display, better processor, and more RAM.

The overheating issues were blown way out of proportion and the iPad 4 was pumped out so Apple could get a full sized iPad on the market with the new Lightning Connector.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

For my money, the bigger question here is, who doesn't know whether they own an iPad 2 or 3, painkillers or no painkillers?

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

I would get a iPad2 refurb off Apple's website for USD$319 and call it a day. The iPad3 is the bastard child of the product line: overweight, overheats, and is overpriced. There's a reason Apple kept the 2, and dumped the 3 and 4.

10. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

The iPad 3 is better. It's a newer model, and has retina display. If you don't care about that but care about the price difference, go for the iPad 2.

11. Vcolassi macrumors newbie

I had a ipad 2 before my 3rd generation, my gf also has the 4 and my 10 year old the mini.

Since using the retina I could NEVER go back to a non retina. My 3 runs just fine on iOS 7.0.3. Hardly any lag & it never overheated, he'll it never gets hot. I was using my 10 year olds mini earlier and it's night and day display wise verse my 3.

I would say get the 3 for sure.

----------

I have even compared my 3 with my GFs 4 on iOS 7.0.3. And the run almost the same.