iPad 2 or iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrRoyksopp, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MrRoyksopp macrumors regular

Hello everyone.
    I've been thinking a lot about getting either an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4. Iv'e saved a lot of money, and I really want to spend some of them, on one of these devices, but I just don't know which one to get. So just wanted to hear, if anyone out there had the same problem?

I want the iPad cause want a very portable device, for example on holidays etc. and to do some easy school tasks.

the other way around, I would like to get a new phone, i'm just scared of loosing it on the floor. I've got an old sony ericsson phone, it get's the job done, and that's it, but it's durable.

Anyone with some advice?
    - Thanks, and btw sorry for my bad english, I'm from Denmark.

2. Maxpej macrumors newbie

iPhone 4

An iPad is a terrific LUXURY device. I'm all for buying one, but I you have an old, useless phone you should deffinatly get a iPhone. You will love the use you can pack out of it.

But if your not allowed to upgrade yet, get an iPad 2. Maybe you can get the cheaper price for summer relase.

3. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I agree on the iPhone 4. The iPad is a great device, but if you are in need of a new phone, the iPhone is the way to go. iPhones are fabulous devices, period. The ability to access data on the fly is unbelievable. Having all your contacts and your calendar always with you is an incredible convenience. If I had to choose between an iPhone and an iPad, I would definitely go with the iPhone. I have had one since day one and I cannot imagine life without my iPhone.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

iPhone. You have a 13" MBP so I think it goes better with a iPhone since that is something you can put in your pocket and take anywhere.

I just picked up my first smart phone, the iPhone 3Gs for only $49 and it is the single coolest gadget I ever had in my life (over 50 years). Since I upgraded my AT&T service I get to get my iPhone I am entitled to another phone upgrade within 12 months (else it would be 18 months). My thinking was that I need to get to know my iphone and in a year I would be eligible to get a iPhone 5. My $49 3GS is fine and I don't miss the iphone 4 features but I am hoping that the iPhone 5 is both 4" screen and will work on AT&T with 4G for faster.... Those two phone upgrades was useful and helped me opt out of a iPhone 4 last month.

I really can't see needing an ipad with a MBP and iPhone. If I had an iMac then a iPad and iPhone makes sense but if in any case an iPhone has become a life changing must have device that fits in my pocket

5. jddar, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

jddar macrumors regular

jddar

I'd say, get the iPad 2. Since I got mine, the only thing I've used my iPhone for is to make calls. I'll definitely be switching to the cheaper AT&T data plan for my phone. My lap top is now permanently anchored to my desk. When the time comes it will be replaced with an iMac.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

7. sineplex macrumors 6502

Nearly all the iphone apps work on ipad, but not the other way around.

Just somethings else to think about too :p

8. keaide macrumors regular

I'm all with BanjoBanker. Totally addicted to my iPhone. It's the ultimate portable device, incredibly versatile and proves its handiness in countless situations day in and day out. And you don't need to carry 2 devices (phone and pocket computer)

But there are some downsides, too, most notably the smaller screen. If you'd like to have some screen space for some more serious work, such as writing, movies, pictures, editing, reading etc., then get the iPad. Sure, you need a bag and carry it around.. but depending on the things you want to do, it might be worth it. Also, if you plan to use the device as portable (bedroom) device at home (reading books, watch pics/movies), the iPad is hard to beat.

Still, my vote goes to the iPhone...

9. lazit7 macrumors newbie

having an iphone will change your life. especially if you are coming from non-iphone phone. I can guarantee you that you won't regret even a single penny. Think of this way, Iphone is a "must", ipad can be supplemental and be a capable companion.

I think the most effective route is to go with iphone first, then save up for the ipad.

10. MrRoyksopp thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks for the advice guys, it helped!