iPad 2 or Macbook Air 11"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diegobgr, May 12, 2011.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi.

I have an iMac and an iPhone. They are the perfect for me, and I enjoy a lot using them.

Switch to Mac it's the best thing I have ever done in "techno".

Now, I'm looking for a partner for the iMac. I am looking for mobility, not power or speed.

So, I'm thinking about the iPad 2. I tried the iPad 1 and I just liked it. So I can't imagine it with the new apps and the new stuff or iPad 2.

I will use it for mail and agenda, web browsing, photo viewing, iBooks...

But I have some doubts.

-How can I share the info and files between iMac and iPad?

-Should I think about Macbook Air 11" instead of Ipad 2? Well, I'm not looking for a notebook, but MBA looks great...

2. DeChrii macrumors member

I'm actually on an iPad right now and it's really great as a portable device. You have the iMac for your power machine so really between the MBA and iPad is the apps/ease/cost. The iPad has more unique games with gyroscope and touch etc which is obvious and the MBA, well it's a light and lower spec'd Mac. Now in your position for apps, the iPad defiantly wins for the different kinds of apps. Now for ease, I would defitnely go for the MBA as it has a keyboard which is defitnely easier to type. Online is probably faster actually by experience YouTube will be faster on the Mac compared to the iPad. The iPad for some reason at times will play videos slower compared to macs and many people have experienced the same issue. And lastly, the cost. MBA is obviously more expensive even refurbished at 850 when the iPad is only at 500 (or buy used for even cheaper at 300 for the iPad 1).

Now with what your going to use it for, the iPad will do it just fine. Dropbox will allow you to open files from device to device. You can even use logmein too to control your iMac on your iPad through wifi

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd go for the MBA, just because of how limited the iPad 1/2 is really is. It does a lot of things on its own but ultimately it is dependent on a larger computer. If you have the cash, I'd go for the MBA.

4. Duluth Baptist macrumors member

MBA is a lot of extra money for something that is not quite as convenient as the iPad 2. It does a lot of stuff your iPad 2 doesn't, like provide good word processing, but it doesn't sound like you're getting this to be productive. Most of what you are listing (photos, movies, web browsing) is consumption. The iPad 2 is brilliant for consumption, particularly since you have stated that you want this for travel.

You will not find a more convenient portable device to watch movies or internet video clips, even if the MBA does it a bit quicker. You can read or watch in bed, on the bus, in the car, on the plane. You can browse the web like you're reading a book. And you've mentioned ibook--you can read a book on it. MBA is not really convenient for reading.

Save the money, get the iPad 2. It seems best for what you're doing.

5. abriwin macrumors member

I have the same decision to make in a few months time. Originally I bought an iPad because the MBA had not been released at that point and I needed something to take on holiday, upload images from my camera, take notes of where I had been and what I had done, keep in touch with folks at home via email, keep some travel guides and book to read.

It worked well except for the ridiculous way of handling files. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that the need to use iTunes to handle files is utterly nonsensical. I ended up not reading half of my guides because of the effort of understanding which App I needed to use to open each of them because of the different formats. No universal app to open all txt files. No finder to find a file and open it without having to try 4 or five apps to see whether what I want can be recognised.

Then there's a lack of an app to access the internet via my Airport Express. What happens if I manage to set up the AE in bridge mode at home but when I arrive at my destination it doesn't work? There's no way to get the iPad to access the AE if any errors were made at home? Isn't this alone a glaring absence on an iPad?

So do I take my MBA which weighs more, or the iPad which weighs less but has limitations?

6. raynewman macrumors newbie

The ideal solution is the MacAir 256GB/4GB with a large Apple LCD display with Bluetooth KB and mouse. With this, just disconnect the MacAir and you are carrying all your data with you.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iPad is great if your usage does not require extensive typing or any "real work". It's nice for checking emails and couch surfing but if you want to do anything complex, then MBA will satisfy you better.

My dad bought an iPad 1 a few months ago. I tried it one night for about 30mins and to be honest, I liked the idea of it but for my usage, it was totally useless. Typing on it is just soooooo slow. It didn't take me much to go back to my 13" MBA.

I have 24" iMac, 13" MBA and iPhone and I couldn't be happier. The 11" MBA is even more mobile and is very close to iPad in terms of portability.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If your primary use for a secondary machine is to consume media, then the iPad is perfect. If your primary use is production then the MBA.
    From what you said the iPad sounds like the better choice.