iPad 2 or The New iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Timoke6, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Timoke6 macrumors member

Hey guys,
    i'm in a dilemma, i don't know whether to buy the iPad 2 or The New iPad.
    I don't want spend more money than I need, because i'm a bit short of it...
    Is The New iPad worth the 100 bucks more, and will i regret it if i buy the iPad 2?

Thanks in advance:)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Knowing the features side by side you tell us. How important is a supposed memory bump, processor bump and retina?

3. rmwebs macrumors 68040

It really depends on what you do. If it was an iPhone I'd say get the latest, because in a year and a half the 'lower powered' model will be very slow. Take the iPod Touch. Apple were still selling a pre-A4 model in September 2010. When iOS5 came out, it crippled that iTouch and made it horribly slow.

I'm not saying the same will happen with the iPad, but in my personal experience its best to get the latest/greatest model and run on a 2-year cycle. For example I got the iPad 1, and iPad 3rd gen. I'll then get the 5th gen, 7th gen and so on. That way you're going to have a decent speed machine for a 2 year window, sell it for a very decent amount and then upgrade. Because I sold my iPad 1, the iPad 3 only cost me £60. If you do it like this its a worthwhile expense.

At the end of the day it'll be down to your individual needs though. Whichever you choose you'll love :)

4. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I'd just wait until after launch and check out the iPad 3 demo unit along with other tablets.

Either the resolution impresses and seems necessary to you or it doesn't. If you don't particularly care about the res, the other upgrades are less meaningful than previous years because a lot of that power/battery goes right into supporting the screen/resolution rather than purely being a performance boost.

As someone who does some graphics/photography etc. the resolution is particularly appealing to me to use as a portfolio device, but I know plenty of people who I doubt would care much.

5. Timoke6 thread starter macrumors member

I really like the have the newest, and the best available,
    but €100 is a lot of money.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the ipad 2 is more than fine imo. If money is a concern, i would get the 2

7. Timoke6 thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll wait untill The New iPad is in the stores, and then just try it, and if I really think I need The New iPad, i'll buy that one:)

8. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

I'm surprised this is such hard decision for people.

Retina display: I don't think you fully realize what 2048 X 1536 will look like on a 9.7 display. It will be incredibly gorgeous. The iPad2 display will look so outdated when this hits peoples hands.

5mp, iSight optics, 1080p @ 30fps recording: Nuff said...AWESOME update...especially coupled with the retina display.

A5X w/quad core gpu: Oh hell yes.

More memory (most likely).

All of the brand spanking new and redesigned apps specifically for the 2048X1536 resolution.

ALL of that for only $99 more.

The decision I would think is easy. Wait one pay cycle if you have to...but get the latest iPad. Or I fear you will be sorry in the not too distant future.

:)

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

If you're tight on money, then maybe an iPad isn't really necessary at all. Just saying...it's kind of the ultimate luxury device.

10. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

11. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Hmm, yea I'm going to agree here. There is probably better things to do with your money if 100 dollars is make or break.

12. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Wait until the new iPad becomes available as a refurbished unit. You "save money", you get the newest tech.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I agree with this 100%. The Retina Display alone is worth the upgrade from the iPad 2 IMO.

14. Timoke6 thread starter macrumors member

I do have the money, but i just don't want to pay €100 extra if it ain't worth it...

But like SteveAbootman already said, I think I'll wait for the refurbished version to become available:)

15. ano0oj macrumors 6502

lol...you're already going to spend $440(tax included).
    if you're going to buy a 2 buy it on craigslist for $300.

16. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Speaking of new and redesigned apps for the retina display, I hope it doesn't take long for major apps to support it... I know all of apples will be but I only care about 2 of those.

17. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

How many times do we need to create the same thread topics over and over again? ???!!!!

How about scrolling down the topics and finding one of the other dozen asking the exact same question?

18. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

@Timoke6
    First, I'd wait for the first batch of reviews for the new iPad before doing anything.
    Then, if you think that the improvements for the new iPad (retina display, 2x the RAM, 2x graphics, better cameras) are worth the extra $100 then get the new one. One thing I'd recommend against doing is buyng something you can't really afford.

Anyway, hope it helps and good luck with your purchase :)

19. Saturn007 macrumors regular

I'm of two minds on this. (Side note: I'm the owner of an original iPad and thinking about adding a 2nd iPad to the household.)

$100 really isn't that much money if one considers it spread over two years... only $4/month!! Or, if one compares it to other purchases (eating out & movies for a family of 4, etc.).

It's also fantastic getting the latest, new, brand new, with all the excitement (and sometimes frustration) that comes with it.

OTOH, it's a 1st generation product in some ways-- new screen, especially, and that can be risky. Also, for many folks, the differences may not be that important.

I saw an iPad 2 next to an iPad 3 and couldn't see much difference in the display--HD movie or NY Times news stories text. Plus, early speed tests (regular use and certain benchmarks) are coming up comparable in many cases. And I'm among those who doubts they'd take photos with a tablet! (Of course, you never know until you have an iPad with a camera.)

At only $350 at Apple for a refurbished iPad 2, you'd be saving $150--and it comes with a 1 year warranty, too!

20. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Here's my opinion for what it's worth.

if you are taking pics, go with the newer/better camera. There is a marked difference between the two generations.

Secondly, all of the damn apps are going to be optimized for the iPad 3rd gen, so you are going to get hit with bigger files regardless of which iPad you buy, might as well buy the iPad they are being optimized for. If you are gonna lose space, make it worth it by utilizing the new screen.

Cheers!

Also, there is simply more longevity now if you buy the newest, it will be supported longer.

21. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It is actually 150 between them as apple sells the refurbished fully warranted iPad 2 for 349

22. tivoboy macrumors 68030

at this point

At this point if one has an ipad 2, it MAY not be a necessary uggrade. If one has nothing, then I would say get the ipad 3 for sure. If 100$ is a crazy amount of money in your life, then get the ipad 2..

23. tommot82 macrumors regular

the new iPad brings you a FANTASTIC looking screen and a newer device.

1) i cannot underestimate just how beautiful the screen looks! It is truly astounding!

2) in 12 months time it is very likely that the new iPad will have a MUCH higher resale value!

if the extra $$ is within your reach i think the above 2 reasons make it worthwhile

24. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Has anyone seen any speed tests to see if there is really a difference in running apps with the iPad 3 vs 2?

I know the new iPad has more RAM- but is it at all helpful for running apps or is it all used up for the display.

If camera, LTE and retina display are not particularly important, is there another reason to get the iPad 3?

25. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Boy, if I was faced with your dilema, I'd scrimp and save wait until I could get the iPad 3 - can't see buying old technology when the price is so close.