iPad 2, or the New iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icepuck72, Mar 20, 2012.

1. icepuck72 macrumors newbie

Should I get the iPad 2 for $399....or the new one for 100 bucks more?? Paying $100 more, is there that much of a difference?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. Actually, get the 64GB LTE. The difference is bigger on that one.

3. theluggage macrumors 68030

My advice:

C.f. an iPad 2, iPad 3 is all about the screen (unless you see any point to having a 5MP camera in a form-factor that's ergonomically useless for taking photos) and most of the extra "grunt" goes to servicing the screen.

I've "upgraded" from an iPad 1 which had no camera at all and was starting to get a bit sluggish, so that's fine. I think I might have been feeling a bit of buyer's remorse now if I already had an iPad 2.

If you plan to use it for viewing photos taken on a half-decent camera or for reading books/documents, or if you have a large collection of 1080p videos, definitely get the new one: the screen makes a huge difference there.

Otherwise, if you can think of better things to do with $100 and your ego can survive having last year's model (its not like you can tell the difference from more than about 5 feet away) the iPad 2 sounds like a good deal.

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

If you can afford the 3 than get it. If your selling stuff out of your closet, get the 2. The 2 is still a great iPad. Just picked one up from apple yesterday for my girlfriend. Returned some Incase cases and the iPad only cost me $300.

I on the other hand went from the 1 to 3 and it's a delight to you :D

5. eq2675 macrumors regular

I think going from 512mb of RAM to 1024mb alone us worth the extra $100

6. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Get a refurbished iPad 2 for $350. It has a new case and battery and the same 1 year warranty.

7. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Question: who is going to be using their iPad more than 5 feet away for something they need to look at the screen to do?

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

...Reading fail. I was referring to the ego-enhancing value of owning the latest model. With the iPad 3 you're just gonna have to get the "Yes! it's got a retina display four-eyes!" T-shirt or passers-by won't know :)