iPad 2 OS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cyacene, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Cyacene macrumors member

iPad 2 rumors are coming in almost daily now, and it sounds like we can probably expect an April launch.

What does everyone think the iOS version will be? I doubt they would release with the same version as the current model (expected to be 4.3 later this month). But major iOS versions have always come with iPhone (so probably iOS 5 in June).

So we have:

iOS 4.2 (4.3?) and release new hardware with no OS bump
    iOS 4.4 (4.5?) and have a small update with everything getting 5 when iPhone hits or
    iOS 5 and let the iPhone 5 catch up when it's released.

Any thoughts?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Most certainly won't be iOS 5. I imagine it will be around 4.3 or 4.4 when it is released, and will recieve iOS 5 when that is (likely) released next summer

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'd rather hope to see the iPad come with iOS5 from the begining, starting over with an old OS is depressing

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Highly doubtful, but just my wishful thinking: i hope they separate iPad OS from iPhone/iPod OS and have it follow iPad hardware updates exclusively. I'm tired of seeing the same features of my iPad on the iPhone and iPod. I want my iPad to stand out more software wise.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Funnily enough, this harks back in a way to a comment I made in one of the "Guess the Specs of the next iPad" threads.

Where I remarked that some people are going to be disappointed.

I'm sure that are some that are hoping for a heck of a lot with iPad2 and major changes to the way it works.

But just seeing people comment about it will only have iOS 4.4, 4.5 type comments, we are only going to be looking at tiny tweaks, and probably less than the jump we had a few weeks ago to 4.2.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think the hardware will be ready for whatever Apple hav in mind for iOS5, it will not be ruing it out of the bag.

However i agree that the iPAd 2 will be minor update (something like 3G to 3GS)

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I disagree. Getting a new OS a few months after getting an iPad feels like getting a whole new device, it's awesome!

9. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think iOS 5 will have to compete with android 3.0 honeycomb. Honeycomb, seems to have a more desktop style interface.

iOS 5 will have to have some extra touches like 3D maps, desktop style home screen, widgets, live wallpapers, etc. However, I think Apple rules with iPad apps, esspectiall the app store, in comparison to the "range" of apps, for tablets, on 2.2. But Apple need to introduce apps like iMovie, iPhoto that can edit and Adobe could add Photoshop and After Effects, to steer "in-between" people to iOS. Obviously, with the iPad's power, they could implement: greenscreen removal, content aware etc.

10. AML225 macrumors regular

With the iPad and iPhone being unified with iOS 4.2, does anyone think iPhone 4s/iPhone 5 will be released at the same time as iPad 2?

It would make more sense for them to release an iPhone "4s" which would be inline with the rumors that the white iPhone 4 will be available spring 2011 since the hardware will be pretty much the same. It would also make sense to do a minor revision from iPhone 4 to 4s and move the product refresh cycle of the iPhone up to April with the iPad. Apple would be crazy to shorten the refresh cycle of the iPhone with a whole new version but with a slight bump (4 to 4s) it won't be quite as outrageous. It would also mean all their effort in producing a white iPhone 4 wouldn't be a loss.

This would allow Apple to have one big "flagship" iOS device (iPhone and iPad) conference/announcement each year followed by their annual September iPod conference.

I'm not saying the next iPhone will actually be called iPhone 4s but it will be a similiar bump in spec to 3g and 3gs. Same appearance with slightly improved hardware and features.

11. Night Spring, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What exactly do you mean by "desktop style home screen"?

If Apple is going to unify the iPad/iPhone product release cycle, I think they would just delay the iPad2 release until June.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For a decade, Microsoft has tried to sell tablets etc that are like desktop computers, unsuccessfully. Think about that.

13. maturola, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I disagree, I don't think Apple, AT&T or any Supplier/Partner would like to see that happening, it would be nightmare.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Didn't say they would. But *if* they did, would make more sense to delay the iPad than move up the iPhone.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

by bad, I stand corrected I misread your post.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No problem, I could have been a bit clearer, too.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I was distracted by the *FREE HUGS!* from Sofia (anjinha). :D

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Nah, they just spent time to unify the 4.2 release, you think they just drop that??? doubt it

19. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Not really, If the iPad came with iOS4 from the beginning it would be able to support iOS5 like the iOS3 iPad supports iOS4 now, It's just future-proofing, I know that new OS feeling, but it basically extends your experience a year, I kinda hope the iPad gets into the same cycle as the iPhones so it gets the latest things without a delay