iPad 2: Outer seal peeling off?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brookzy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Hi everyone!

When I got the iPad 2 on Friday here in the UK, I immediately noticed that on the top left corner the plastic seal that separates the glass from the aluminium has peeled off slightly, and the metal is slightly chipped. The chips I don't mind: I can't hardly see them, but the seal catches my eye.

If there any easy fix to this? Tiny amount of glue perhaps? Has anyone else seen this problem?

It is very OCD, which is why I want to at least try to fix it myself and not gain a reputation as a pain in the a$$ customer at the Apple store. Although it is more noticeable than the pics lead you to believe.

Pics below:

Attached Files:

2. Fisticuffs2065 macrumors member

Yikes! Take it back buddy. I am sure they will replace that for you, seems like a manufacturing defect. The last thing you want is to try to fix it your self and in the end it gets worse... or you ignore it and it becomes worse over time.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Any attempts to repair the iPad yourself may result in you voiding your warranty, don't risk it and just take it in to Apple (that is what a manufactures warranty is for).

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I can't even see what you're talking about

Edit: Wait that tiny little gap?

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

mine is similar 3g ipad 2.

shows a little gap only on top left.

i think its partly for the 3g antenna bar?

6. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Yeah, told you it was OCD, you saw the little 'pain in the a$$ customer' disclaimer I put in. :D

Quite a contrasting response - from Yikes! to What are you on about.

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Mine is doing that as well, except in the top right corner. I'm going to wait until Apple is done cranking these things out at a million miles per hour and get it replaced. If the new one does it too then it's just one of those things.

8. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Just so people know, I'm not angry about it. There are more important things in the world. Just trying to get an impression of whether this is commonplace or not.

9. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Well it's good to know it's not just me!

I'm sure I can just live with it.

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Id just take it back. you dont want to mess around with it and make it worse as well as voiding warranty.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

From those pictures I can't see anything wrong with it either. Wait... I do see it. I'd take it back.

12. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I could too. I'm getting it replaced for "light leakage" in the lower left corner. It shows up even on white screens, so it's pretty distracting.

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

I had the exact same issue and Apple replaced it. I say take it back and get a new one.

My replacement had a different issue (bright spot on the screen)... They are replacing it too. My 3rd iPad 2 hasn't arrived yet. When it does, I hope I finally got a good one...

14. diacritic macrumors regular

I think this is common with white ipads. Mine has a similar gap on the upper left hand corner but since the rubber seal itself seems firmly in place and the glass even all around I've decided not to return this since this is the third ipad 2 I have purchased. The first had a nasty piece of dust under the glass and the second had light leakage so terrible it looked like a flashlight was shining from the bottom of the screen.

In yours, is the seal coming out (i.e. you can pull on it with your fingernails) or is there just the gap?

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I have a Black AT&T iPad 2. I have the same thing in the upper left hand corner so it's not a White versus Black model issue.

16. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

@jpetticrew When I first opened up the iPad it had a distinct light leak on the top right and 2 spots on the mid and lower left. Over time this has become less noticeable. I don't think it matters on a device like the iPad.

@diacritic The seal is moveable with my finger, but I cannot pull it out.

17. diacritic macrumors regular

I guess what I meant is that it's more obvious with the white since the gap "shows" black.

18. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I agree with you. My iPad 1st gen had a similar thing to this, but was nowhere near as noticeable.

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

white WIFI here.
    the 'seperator material' has does have some MINIMAL wiggle room on the top edge of mine aswell.

i do suppose you're more likely to see the irregularities on the minimal gaps on the white models.

anyways, i just decided to keep myself from touching and scratching around at that spot. If it gets any loose / worse, i might exchange it, but as it seems there'll be no dust coming in that way right now, i'm okay with this minimal cosmetic issue

20. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Never thought of dust.

Anyone know if the screen is bonded to the glass / digitiser or whatever like the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th gen? That would stop dust I suppose.

21. diacritic macrumors regular

My guess is that is where the glass is finally "finessed" into place. I'm not worried about it since the glass holds firmly and I don't plan on going scuba diving with it and even if I did water would leak through other ports....

22. diacritic macrumors regular

That would bother me... I would go in for an exchange or at least have apple note it on your account so you can exchange it later on the manufacturing process has taken shape and worked out its kinks....

23. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I remember the Gizmodo post, or series of posts, it went:

Is iPad 2 headphone jack waterproof -->[Update] No it's not --> iPad 2 has no liquid sensors! --> Take it into the bath tub!

24. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

25. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

:mad:

I was just looking at that.

From experience the bonded displays, while being criticised for repairability, gave much clearer colours and viewing angles. I'm surprised the iPad 2 manages its viewing angles with this style of display.