iPad 2 owner confession: I prefer laptop

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IceMacMac, Jul 10, 2011.

1. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disappointed with my iPad 2. I think it's awesome. And there are some things it can do better than a Mac.

But I'd rank my computer use like this:
    60% Mac Pro
    37% MacBook Pro
    3% iPad

I'd rank the reasons for this as follows:
    - Adobe Flash works just fine on my MBP
    - It's tedious to type on the iPad
    - The extra screen real estate on my MBP
    - 1Password works great logging into websites on my MBP, but the iPad version of that app is very limited

Honestly, I use my iPad most when it's sofa time and my laptops' battery is charging. If I had to give it up...I'd miss it, but not badly.

Still...it's a marvel.

2. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

OK... I have a MBP and iPad and I prefer both. :)

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

If it wasnt for work id probably agree with you. I cant be bothered to lug a laptop to work but the 3g iPad 2 is perfect. we never had wifi at work until recently and even now its dsl so the att 3g is faster then the work wifi so using the ipad for time killing web browsing during work is perfect without having to lug a lap top around. I suppose an 11" macbook air would do the job just as good but no built in 3g and when I got my first ipad the 11" air didnt exist.

we'll see what the new airs come packed with maybe ill replace the ipad with one.

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

yeah i have a 13" MBP and an iPhone. I primarily use them the most, and i use the iPad for leisure computing. So for checking my Twitter in the morning, checking the news, reading books, chilling with a TV show in the evening, etc.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

i had to change my work habits. i used to combine content consumption and creation throughout the day, but the ipad is wonderful for the first and lackluster on the second.

i use it every once in a while to type up first drafts, but usually i use it for reading research, taking notes by hand, or writing out first drafts by hand. i scan in my handwritten notes later. i suppose, in a way it has made me more productive--i read a lot more because i cannot waste time endlessly editing stuff all day, and i compress my writing into shorter periods.

the ipad is just amazing. i was decidedly underwhelmed when it first came out. but, with a little imagination and the right apps it changes everything.

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have a 15" MBP and only use it for word processing (my dissertation). All else is done in my iPad.

7. IceMacMac, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011

IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I office out of my own home...so I have little "lugging" to do. Only once have I taken my iPad to a meeting instead of my laptop.

Wow. Maybe I'm just oldschool.

Can you type on your iPad with anything more than a finger or two at a time?

That's how I feel, but then there's the additional catch: a lot of the content I want to consume is Flash video.

8. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I might split my computer time this way:

Mac Pro - 70%
    iPad 2 - 30%

As you can see, I don't own a laptop, because I don't need that kind of power when I need to be mobile. The only flash-heavy website that I use is YouTube, and obviously there's an app for that. I despise flash anyway - crashes a lot on my Mac, and I'm always having to reload a page at least once a day. So I'm actually very happy that the iPad and iPhone don't support it. Now if only HTML5-based sites would become ubiquitous...

One great thing the iPad has done for me is it's allowed me to break away from my desktop if I don't have real work to do. It's fun (and necessary a lot of the time) to sit in front of the 27" screen, but sometimes I just want to browse the web and don't feel like sitting there. I guess you could say I can access the Internet on my own terms.

The iOS 5 gestures make getting around the iPad extremely quick and efficient - swipe 4 up to get the history list, pinch 5 to close an app, even swipe 4 left/right to switch between apps. I love it, and it's made casual browsing fun again.

9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

ipad2 20%
    Mbp 80%

I use my laptop Most of the time.

I use my ipad2 whenever im out or on bed or toilet ? sometimes i spend 30 mins in the loo. You dont really bring your laptop into the loo.

Lol

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

11. Juggertha macrumors member

Juggertha

12. taipan61 macrumors 6502

just depends which hand your using...:D

i find that i'm using the MBP less and less, but also not the power user i used to be, more of a consumer these days...so let's say 60% iPad, 40% MBP

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

i can touch type on the ipad. i don't know how fast, but i'd guess about half normal speed. 30-40 words per minute? it is not much fun, because you don't have the same tactile sensation, and typing on glass is sort of unpleasant. it can be done. i usually turn to a usb keyboard if i am doing a lot of typing with the ipad. the ipad is great for first drafts, notes, or emails.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I hate to reinforce Apple's marketing stance, but I have to agree with them this time....when I want to consume I use the ipad, and my macbook CE at home or imac at work when I want to create something.

The anywhere internet of the 3g ipad, plus its light size and battery life make it a excellent tote anywhere machine.

Now, if the new macbook airs have hellacious battery life and a 3g option, and bring the things I like about iOS to OSX, an air may just be my next computer.

16. Meanee macrumors 6502a

When I want to get some entertainment, reading, test prep, I use iPad. When I need to get work done (flight simulation, working with ActiveX, doing few router programming tasks), I use my home PC, or netbook (on the field).

These 2 devices are not mutually exclusive. This been discussed here to no end. Just depends what you are trying to do with your laptop/desktop/iPad. Just hate to bring up the Flash into the picture, but if I had Flash on iPad, I'd use my netbook significantly less. Test prep sites that I use, all coded in Flash. So is the business grade firewall (Watchguard XTM2 series). What possessed a company to code interface entirely in Flash is unknown to me.

17. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes they do! I've used an iPad on my iPot, but never a laptop!:D

18. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Win 7 custom desktop -60%
    ipad 2 3g -15%
    macbook air -25% (might ditch this again and stick with ipad 2/desktop)

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPad is worth way more than just mere 3%. If that's the way you are using it, then you wasted your money.

I use iPad for at least 30-40%.

My MBA and MBP puts the rest.

I only MBA and MBP for typing and doing some serious work such as photo editing and creating a presentation.

20. Kayzle macrumors member

To me if you often use a laptop, then you should have both. I have an imac and plan to buy an ipad int he future. but usually when im sitting at home i browse my fave websites on my iphone. i bascailly just want to replace those sessios nw ith my ipad.

21. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Wait for iOS 5. Your life will change. Again.

22. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I typically use my iMac most of the time when I'm at home. But, last night, I tried substituting my MBA for those circumstances where I use my iPad these days. Think surfing on the couch or in bed or somewhere else around the house. Hated the experience. Hate how the bottom gets warm (or how I even have to think about not blocking the air vents), hate how the battery life sucks compared to the iPad (or at least how I even have to think about battery life) and I hate the fact that it's only possible to hold in one position. If I'm lying in bed, I love propping up the iPad on my chest and it feels natural. If I'm sitting on the couch, I love holding the iPad up like a book and it feels natural. A laptop in either one of those scenarios is just awkward. And you can only hold a laptop in landscape mode.

There are literally only three things holding the iPad back from potentially being a laptop replacement when I travel (bearing in mind that for content creation I typically create nothing beyond Office docs): (1) lack of a full-featured Office-compatible suite (although Docs To Go is close in terms of functionality), (2) lack of an ethernet plug for those times when I'm staying at a hotel that doesn't have wireless internet, and (3) lack of Flash for those pesky few outdated websites that contain Flash content. Give me those three things and I'll be happy as a clam.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

For (2), have you thought about getting an AirPort Express?

24. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I've heard about others doing this, but don't particularly want to lug one extra thing around (I know, I know. It's tiny. But still). Do you have experience with this? Is there any configuring I have to do ahead of time or is it pretty much plug and play regardless of where you are?

25. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Yup, I take one with me every time I travel. You do need to configure it at home before you leave but you only need to do it once, after that you just need to plug it in. Unless you have iOS 5, then you can configure it from your iPad.

It's very unlikely the iPad will ever get an ethernet port, it's just not possible considering how thin it is. I think the AirPort Express is a great solution though, I love mine.