iPad 2 Owners: Has the oleophobic coating worn off?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mciarlo, Mar 10, 2012.

?

Has the oleophobic coating worn off on your iPad?

1. Yes, I see a slightly different texture on parts of the screen.

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. Maybe - I don't notice anything

29 vote(s)
    30.5%
  1. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I'm debating a screen protector. I bought the smart cover, but am worried about wearing an obvious patch into the glass.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When the coating wears off, the screen just starts holding finger oils more. Once cleaned, the screen doesn't have any patchy areas of discolouration or different texture.

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Looks/seems fine to me. I've never seen a pic of an iPad with the coating showing wear.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The only difference is that the fingerprints are CRAZY on the screen after the coating wears off. To me that's the only way to tell that the oleophobic coating has worn off.

It took probably 5 months or so I think for me -- and I use mine for a few hours a day, daily. Screen still looks flawless, no scratches or patches, it just hangs onto fingerprints easier.

5. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Cool - thanks for the replies all :) I'll probably hold off on buying a protector for now.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My iPad2 does not finger print any more than the day it was new. I have used it day in and day out from the day it was introduced.

Protectors suck.

7. iDvisic macrumors member

What specifically don't you like about protectors? And what kinds have you tried? My grandmother has one on her iPad 1, my mom on her iPad 2--both the Zagg invisibleshield variety. I've used both pretty extensively and they seem fine.

The 3rd gen will be my first iPad, so I'm not being a jerk or questioning your right to your preference. I'm just gathering information.

-->iDv.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I tried one for about three days and did not like the feel compared to the glass screen. I have tried two fronds and their's has the same feeling I dislike.

I am not worried about hurting my screen as the case covers the back and flap covers the screen when I am using it. Only time it is exposed is when I am using it. Just do not see how I could ever hurt the screen and I have used iPad 1 and 2 daily for a couple of years now. Some use also includes the field.

They are not super expensive so if I were you, I would get one and see what you think. If you do not like it, just take it off!
    I guess it is a personal thing.

9. sjenkins49 macrumors member

It's freaking glass! What are you so worried about? I don't understand why people put screen protectors on glass. My iPhone 3G or iPad 2 have never had a problem with scratches.

Now the Gorilla Glass on the iPhone 4 and 4S will scratch. I put a screen protector on my wife's iPhone 4 since she just throws it in her purse. I don't have one on my iPhone 4 and I have a small scratch on it from putting it in my pocket with my keys. I usually carry it in a pocket by its self but during and night out drinking I stuck it in my right pocket instead of my left.

If the New iPad has Gorilla Glass you may think about a screen protector if you don't plan on using a screen cover or a Apple Smart Cover.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I just picked up the glas.t tempered glass screen protector for my ip4s and it is sweet, it feels like... well glass because it is glass and it is oleophobic coated, so it feels just like the screen without the screen protector, the best of both worlds if you ask me, protection and it still feels the same.

They announced they are making it for the new iPad so I am definitely grabbing one when they come out in April.

11. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i find them to make the screen rougher, they aren't of such a high quality surface as the naked glass, and they cause slight blurriness and colour desaturation in the screen, the glass on the front is very tough and requires quite a bit of effort on your part to scratch it, i have never used a protector on any apple device, and the screens are still flawless.

just make sure you don't chuck it in a bag with your keys or coins etc, treat it right and it'll be fine.

12. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Same here, although my iPad is a week younger than yours.

13. donnaw macrumors 65816

I use a Power Support anti-glare screen protector. My husband doesn't have any screen protector and I put Ghost Armour on the front and back of my ipad1 for my grandkids. So I have a bit of experience with many options.

1). All three feel about the same to the touch. I can't tell any difference. Even the Ghost Armour, which I was a bit afraid would be 'sticky' slides just fine.

2). Maybe my eyes aren't as sharp as some but I really can't tell any difference between the screens. I've laid all three side-by-side and they look the same when looking at the same pic or website. I don't know if the new display will be impacted though.

3). I like the anti-glare and anti-fingerprint properties of the Power Support. Mostly because I use mine on the patio a lot where it can be pretty sunny and even beside the lamp I get a glare when using my husband's. That bugs me. But the big plus is no fingerprints. Fingerprints bother me a lot and I find that there is a really big improvement when using the PS screen protector. In fact I have already ordered another for my new iPad.

Everyone is different but these are my observations.

14. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The coating definitely can have patchy spots that "chip off" but the only place you will notice it is on the bezel (on the black model), and only if you don't clean it regularly.

For this reason (and a few others) I pre-ordered the new iPad in white. No need for a screen protector, I will never see any of those spotty parts anymore thanks to the white bezel.

I recommend other people do the same, because buying a screen protector just creates more problems.

Instead of a beautiful screen you can easily wipe down, you end up with plastic looking screen that ends up with the same patches but are more visible. The only plus is you can just buy a new screen protector I suppose.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Oleophobic coating as applied on Apple devices is extremely durable and not subject to wearing off within months, simply because you use your fingers on the touchscreen.

If you notice an increasing amount of fingerprint retention, it's because you're not cleaning the screen properly. Unless you have a screen sticky from debris or food residue, a dry microfiber cloth is the easy way to completely remove fingerprints. Screens that require more will come clean with a water dampened microfiber. No chemical is required.

Oleophobic coating can be scratched off, however in that case you'll also have residual marks on your screen.

The major advantage of screen protectors are the profits they bring in to those who sell them. The second best aspect is for those who must spend money to feel safe from the OCD boogyman :)

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I just do not see any need in covering my screen. But then again, I am an adult and there are no kids or "others" handling my iPads.

Everyone needs to do as they want. These screen protectors and not that expensive and you can always remove them.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I had an anti-glare screen protector on my 1 & 2, and have another ordered for 3. I'm not concerned about wearing off the coating -- I just don't like glare and the protector makes it so easy to clean the screen b/c you don't have to worry if the cleaner has alcohol or ammonia in it.

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

If your worried about the coating, DO NOT use a screen protector.

Apple will tell you that they don't carry protectors anymore beacause they damage the coatings on the glass.

I doubt the static cling ones hurt it, but I'm sure some skins will ripp that layer right off.

19. luke.mac1 macrumors member

I read 'protector' as 'projector' and was wondering wtf everyone was going on about in this thread lol

20. porcupine8, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

When I first got mine, I planned on getting a screen protector but never got around to it.

I have a nine-month-old baby and have been using the iPad while holding him since the day he was born. It's gotten all manner of ick on it, but one wipe with microfiber and it's fine. (And for the record, I rarely actually clean it - never for just fingerprints. It's always covered in prints, but you can ardly see them when it's on. I don't understand people who clean it daily or more. The prints just come back within minutes of using it!)

I do have a case that covers the screen when I'm not using it.

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am with you and seldom have to or wipe my screen. "Ick" will not harm how the iPad works and you are quite right, unless it is off you can't see the prints and Ick. As far as understanding why "some" clean their device constantly. It is called OCD and to many here the iPad is a MAJOR expense and they take care of it like there in no tomorrow. I guess I did at first but this is my third and my iPad is more of a tool than an object for worship. I might wipe it off once a week when I put it on the charger.

Enjoy!

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

My iPad 2 has had an visible shield on 95% of it's life, so the screen has hardly been touched.
    However, my launch day iPhone 4 is looking terrible. it has blotches all over it, like tiny little dots where the layer has come off. looks really bad.

23. eyespii macrumors 6502

I ordered a new screen shield, but haven't decided if I'm going to put it on or not. Honestly I'm more concerned about the back getting scratched than I am the glass screen.

24. Richard Peters macrumors regular

Richard Peters

I hate screen covers personally.

However, today I cleaned my iPad 2 screen to take images for an eBay auction, rubbed it down with my microfibre cloth, took some images and noticed a few more dust specs so rubbed it down again. This time however, it put two very feint scratches in the screen! Not impressed as it's been used day in day out with no issues and now, the day I clean it up to sell it gets two marks on the screen. Ho hum!

That said, I won't be getting any screen covers for my 3 either :p