iPad iPad 2 Owners. Holding out 1 more cycle or upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedeejay, Aug 2, 2013.

  1. thedeejay macrumors 65816


    Aug 16, 2012
    Toronto, Canada.
    Hey you guys,

    As we all know (according to rumors) the "iPad 5 or 5th gen" is going to be released. Now I'm confused on what to do. Hold out one more year or upgrade. I'm usually the type of person who holds out on their products until I really need to upgrade. So I'm taking a few things into account: iOS 7 on iPad 2, is it like iOS 6 on iPod 4? Cuz that was terrible for me. Still is as I own an iPod 4. I'm thinking my resale value for my iPad is already crappy so I should hold on to it anyways? What do you guys thing. Any suggestions? What would YOU do? Plus my next iPad, I'm thinking 16 plus LTE so reselling my iPad is what I'm going to do to fork out the extra $ for LTE/cellular.

  2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    Some of the features such as paralax will be missing from the iPad2 on iOS7. I would say I think youve earned an upgrade, you will get a new form factor, better internals, siri, and benefit from all the features of iOs7
  3. iPad2013 macrumors member

    Dec 4, 2012
    Upgrading my 32GB iPad 2.

    I need the iPad to be lighter. If you've held a Mini, you'd want something in the same weight range.
  4. marcoity macrumors newbie

    Dec 13, 2012
    if and when it comes out, buy it from store like best buy ... which refunds 100% on return product. Use it for a week, compare it with the iPad 2. keep it if its worth the upgrading other wise return it.
  5. Tree2u macrumors newbie

    Nov 3, 2012
    Upgrading for sure..... The battery on my 2 is starting to drain faster and faster..
  6. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Nov 15, 2007
    I think it might be time to upgrade from my iPad 1...

    OK honestly it's been way past time, but the 2 just wasn't enough, the 3 was hot, the 4 was too much like the 3...I think the 5 will be radical enough to make it worth it.
  7. kaielement, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

    kaielement macrumors 65816

    Dec 16, 2010
    I am currey running iOS 7 beta on my iPad 2 32gb model. So far no issues like we saw with iOS 6 on the iPod and iPhone 3GS and 4. Seems to run smoothly. It may not have all the features but as far as it goes so far no real issues other then a few apps not working. But that should be fixed once the real version comes out in the fall. That being said if I had the money I would totally upgrade so that I had all the new specs lighting conector and well you know just an over all faster iPad. Just my two cents lol.
  8. .Asa macrumors regular

    Jan 8, 2013
    Yeah, this. From my experience iOS 7 runs just fine on all A5 devices. It shouldn't be an issue with the iPad 2.
  9. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

    Jun 24, 2010
    Don't tell that to Tim Cook. Apple will see even lower numbers for the iPad. At some point you got to figure that updating old tabs like the iPad 2 will back fire on Apple. I would expect the iPad 2 to be discontinued from upgrades in 2014 just to get people to open their wallets.
  10. Markyyy macrumors regular

    Aug 1, 2013
    I've still got an iPad 2 since it first launched (it's like 2 years and 4 months old, right?). I definately feel I'm due an upgrade largely for the benefit of a retina display so then I can subscribe to NewScientist magazine on my iPad :) and actually be able to read the text easily. The icons in the status bar on iOS7 don't look great on my iPad 2. It's like Apple haven't really gave much thought about refining icons for the lower-resolution displays. They look fine on iOS6. I think the status bar icons have slightly decreased in size though, so that would partly explain why they don't look as crisp.
  11. Badrottie Suspended


    May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    This. That is why I am ready to upgrade if the iPad 5 is really light and better features. :apple:
  12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020


    Mar 19, 2012
    If it works for you and does everything you need it to do I wouldn't bother upgrading. I always try and find excuses as to why I should upgrade when in reality, my devices work just fine.
  13. Medic311 macrumors 68000


    Jul 30, 2011
    if it ain't broke, don't replace it lol

    if i were you and you've been fine without a Retina screen, i would keep the iPad 2
  14. preyan macrumors 6502


    Aug 31, 2007
    South Africa
    Upgrade. Besides additional features, I need more space :D
  15. colodane macrumors 6502a


    Nov 11, 2012
    I will most certainly upgrade to another 32 GB cellular version. The iPad2 works fine, but excited and ready for the newer hardware features and native IOS7. But will feel obligated to wait until the next mini announcement to make sure I want the 5 rather than the new mini.
  16. KittiFatale macrumors member


    Oct 12, 2011
    Helsinki, FI
    I've been wanting to upgrade my iPad 2 (64GB WiFi+3G) for some time now, especially after being exposed to the retina display on the iPhone 4 and 5. It still works great and still looks flawless. Hopefully I'll get a good sale value on it.
  17. MindsEye macrumors regular

    May 3, 2010
    My 32gb wifi 2gen is still alive and kicking but the limitations of 512mb ram is beyond irratating with the constant page reloads in safari. Also having to be very conscious with the amount of apps running.

    Along with the weight reductions, Doubling the RAM to 2GB will be enough to make me bite the bullet. Looking at replacing my current with a 64GB cellular version.
  18. ozaz macrumors 65816

    Feb 27, 2011
    I'll get a new ipad from this cycle only if I decide to go mini.

    If not, I'll stick with 2 for now - thriftiness is partly because I am unsure if a full size iOS or Windows 8 tablet is better for me.
  19. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

    Feb 13, 2011
    I'm in the same position. It ain't broke. It's only been two years. See how ios 7 goes on ipad 2. But next year might be our upgrade year I think.
  20. calb macrumors 6502

    Mar 12, 2009
    Most definitely replacing my 32GB iPad 2. Reasons I didn't upgrade to the 3rd or 4th generation were the additional size, weight and longer charge periods. If the 5th generation is thinner and lighter, I'll be happily joining the retina crowd.
  21. tiptopp macrumors regular


    Aug 15, 2008
    Norwich, UK

    I have iOS7 on my iPad 2, and am not really happy with it. But I also use it a lot to watch TV and video, so want retina. And more space (I've got 16Gb).

    So I'll be getting iPad 5, at least 32Gb, with LTE (I only have Wifi so have to use a Mifi to get internet access at work - costing £15 a month). Vodafone keep trying to give me a 'free' iPad 4 on a fairly good contract - I've told them to keep the offer open for the 5!

    My daughters are quite excited about me having a new one - as they think they're getting the 2!

  22. cambookpro macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Definitely upgrading my iPad 2. Really hoping it's lighter with the smaller bezels.
  23. td1439 macrumors 6502


    Sep 29, 2012
    I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle here. I currently have an iPad 2 that I use for work. I'm a teacher, and my school is moving to a 1:1 iPad program for our 3 oldest grades. I've agreed to sell my iPad to the school for $200, and I will put that money towards a new iPad for myself. My conundrum lies in the anticipated release date of the iPad 5. Given the expected features, I would really prefer to get the 5. However, the news that the next iPhone version is expected to be introduced in mid-September makes me wonder if they are going to wait until October to even announce the 5, and I'm not sure I can go that long with no iPad at all (obviously I will need to get my current iPad to the school by the first week of September when the students return).

    Is it even remotely possible that Apple has the iPad 5 available for sale by early October?
  24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030


    Sep 11, 2006
    Sacramento, CA USA
    If the new iPad 5th generation has both a iPad mini-like case along with the Retina Display, I'm definitely upgrading. :D
  25. blackburn macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2010
    Where Judas lost it's boots.
    Not upgrading or holding out another cycle for that mater.
    My iPad 2 doesn't get enough use to warrant an update, and it works fine as is.

Share This Page