iPad 2 photo storage Vs Air 2, Pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DragonJade, Apr 4, 2016.

1. DragonJade macrumors 6502

If I have photos copied over from Photos to my iPad, will they be copied over at a higher resolution/file size on the Air 2 and Pro 9.7 compared to the iPad 2? If so, how much difference? I want to make sure I get a new iPad with sufficient storage. I had a 64GB iPad 2 with probably 40GB of photos on it. I don't want to get a new 128GB Air 1/Pro 9.7 and be shocked that the same photos now take up 100GB of space.

2. MaulRx Suspended

Depends on your settings and how they were synched.

3. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't recall there being any settings when I synced my photos over iTunes from iPhoto at the time.

Are you saying there are quality/size settings now when syncing? What are they?

4. MaulRx Suspended

Settings on the iPad. Optimize or keep originals. You can search for it.

5. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

Do you need 40gb of photos with you at all times that you cannot back up to another cloud service? Which you can still view through that service's app.

6. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's only for iCloud syncing. I want to sync directly from my Mac to an iPad Air 2/Pro. I believe that iTunes does an automated optimisation with no options, and it's the difference in file size between the optimisation for the iPad Air 2/Pro and the iPad 2 I used to have that I'm interested in.

Unfortunately, I do. I don't always have internet access, and the places I go to don't always have internet access, so having the photos on the device is a must for me. I don't need the full sized files I take with my DSLR, optimised are fine.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

what I REALLY want to know is why my 128 GB only has 114GB of storage available. certainly this can't be normal, what would someone with a 16GB ipad air do, or a 32GB does it only come with 18GB of available user storage? What is using up 14 GB of the flash memory at boot?

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

To answer the question, ~7.3% of capacity is lost due to disparity between GB/GiB. Storage for the different capacities are as follows:

16 GB ~= 14.9 GiB
    32 GB ~= 29.8 GiB
    64 GB ~= 59.6 GiB
    128 GB ~= 119.2 GiB

However, root partition size also varies based on which capacity model you got. On the 16GB iPad, root partition may only be using 2-3 GiB while on the 128GB iPad, it may be using 4-5 GiB. Why? You'd have to ask Apple.

Quoting my reply to your other post.

9. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

114gb is normal.

Don't like it...too bad.