iPad 2 Piel Frama magnetic cases do not fit iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by class77, Mar 19, 2012.

1. class77, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Sleep wake closures don't work and the camera is partly obscured by the case, despite some sites assurances that they do work:mad: Cases.com says they will have the new iPad 3 cases in mid April. They are available from Piel Frama site now

2. Kapitein macrumors newbie

I never buy a Piel Frama again. I have one for my ipad 1 but the glass is damaged because the magnetic closures that came through the leather of the case.

3. DctrJ macrumors member

I bought a Piel Frama magnetic from cases.com and it fits perfectly! Both cameras work as intended. The face time camera has a large opening cut out and the better camera is notched like a U up to the on-off switch so it has complete clearance. The magnetic closure activates the sleep function every time. Fits like a glove. I received it on 3-14 before the iPad 3 was available.

4. Richard8655, Mar 19, 2012

Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

My leather/croc Piel Frama iPad 2 case fits my new iPad 3, but tightly. The surrounding leather holding the bezel is protruding a bit, but after 3 days it's stretching and slowly fitting to the new form.

The magnets don't work in activating sleep/wake. But then I don't think it was intended to.

The rear-facing (better) camera opening is a round hole (not a U notch), but it doesn't obscure the camera and works fine. The front camera is also fine. All the port openings pretty much match up on mine.

5. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

I've had this iPad 2 case since it was new last year and it doesn't have a U shaped camera hole, it has a circular cutout. The magnets worked perfectly on the iPad 2, but not the iPad 3. I also don't have the leather strap inside the case that seems to have been added after April of last year

This is my 3rd Piel Frama case and I love them. I've been very happy with the protection they give my iPad

6. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Was the fit perfect, or was there some tightness as I had?

7. Tom G., Mar 19, 2012

Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The sleep wake function can be repaired by turning the magnet over in the cover. The new sensor is polarity sensitive and if the magnet was put in the cover with the wrong polarity then sleep wake function not work.

Some people have corrected this by carefully getting to the magnet and turning it over.

8. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Really? That's great info. Am just worried I may have to cut open the cover to get to the magnets. If so, will probably forgo doing this. But actually I have a feeling my model doesn't have this function. (go Illini... my school)

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

To Richard8655,

I would be cautious about cutting up a nice case also. Especially one as expensive as a Piel Frama. I had one on my first iPad and they are nice but Are costly.

I don't work for the University here, but I do help deliver natural gas to Chicago. :D

10. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

The Piel Frama case didn't fit as well when new as it does now. It was tight and the cover didn't align perfectly, but it does now. It's leather and it stretches a little. I'm sure they have to take that into consideration

11. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Thanks Tom. You're absolutely right. These cases are pretty expensive and they approach the price of the iPad itself (almost)! So I hesitate to do any surgery on them unless fairly skilled and ready to repair/sew. But good to know that flipping them over will enable wake/sleep in case I get brave enough in the future.

C-U is a very nice twin city, especially compared to this megalopolis where I live. :)

----------

In a way glad to hear yours was tight at first too, like mine. I'm looking forward to it stretching out over time, as yours is doing. Did you see Tom's post about how to fix the wake/sleep function? Good to know and something to consider, if not now maybe in the future.

I'm glad to have run into other Piel Frama owners. We should start a MacRumors subgroup here. :D

12. DctrJ macrumors member

I just checked and my top magnetic turns it off and the bottom magnet does not. Guess one is in backward. My iPad fit perfect. Not too tight or too loose.

13. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Richard, there is no way in the world I'm going to start cutting on a $150 case that doesn't function properly. I'm going to send it back for exchange if that's the case. Besides, it won't affect the case partially obscuring the camera, so I'd still have a problem....I'll just wait until the iPad 3 version of the case comes out in mid April. Cases.com has already said they will exchange it.

14. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Class77,
    I agree about slicing into the case and would be hesitant also. But it's good to know why it's not working and how it could be fixed per Tom's post.

What I'm wondering about in your case (so to speak), is why the round camera cutout is obscuring the camera lens. I also have a round cutout, and even though it's not centered, the lens does peep out to one side (probably because of the tight fit). Maybe it has to do with the model. I have the croc/cowhide magnetic closure, not cinema model.

I'll also be on the lookout for Piel Frama's iPad 3 models. A good place to also check is eBay, where sometimes you can get a deal on them. I still believe that for the money, this company makes the best quality and looking iPad cases.

15. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Richard, these cases are handmade, so I'm sure they will deviate slightly from one to the next. I don't know the exact problem, I just know the right side of the lens is partially obscured on my case. I also have the magnetic closure case.

I don't buy stuff on Ebay. I want to deal with a reputable company that sells Piel Frama and for me, that is Cases.com. I'll wait until they get them in in mid-April