iPad 2 - "Post-PC device"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aplqna, Mar 8, 2011.

1. aplqna macrumors 6502

Apple has touted the iPad 2 as a "Post-PC" device. They said it in the keynote, they say it in the official iPad2 video. How can this be if you NEED a PC to operate it? I am trying to convince myself that I can use JUST an iPad when I go on months-long trips and sell my Macbook Pro because I feel it may be overkill- but I am questioning the "post-PC" label. How do you take it -- do you think Apple intends that phrase to mean it can replace a laptop or simply it is a whole different world than a PC because of its form and iOS?

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

They also said that the iPod is a post pc device.

They aren't saying it's a device can get rid of their PC.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think they mean for 90% of the people the iPad, in the near future, will be all they need in terms of computing.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this has been discussed several times now, and I am going to quote another forum member who understood exactly what Steve Jobs meant

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Given than "post-PC" is not a term of art and lacks a clear definition, it's just Apple's way of saying that we're entering an era where PC functionality will become untethered from traditional views of computers. He's not making a promise that the iPad is self-contained, but it's clearly headed in that direction. They have a billion-dollar facility in North Carolina and a new iOS somewhere down the pike. I wouldn't be surprised to see stand-alone iPad use in the next 6 months. Of course, "stand-alone" in Apple's world means that you'll be reliant on Apple's cloud and store offerings.

6. Supadoodles macrumors newbie

Supadoodles

"Post-PC" is just some term they're going to start pushing to differentiate their products and make themselves look better. :p

7. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love this. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at all if that were the case.

Thank you all for your insight. It really is interesting to discuss what they mean. I am leaning towards them meaning it will be like the new PC in the FUTURE and this is just the beginning-- unfortunate, though, because I'd like it to be "stand-alone" now. Even so, they are saying it IS a post-PC device... so perhaps they just mean it goes beyond a PC and operates differently with a different form. Perhaps they mean both.

Sorry that has been discussed before, I don't have the time to sift though every thread and didn't see this in any other title. :p

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Jobs said. First and foremost he's a salesman and he's marketing the iPad and apple as cutting edge. How can you be more cutting edge, by saying you're beyond the old PC and are now on tablets.

Forget the fact that you need a computer to sync up a the iPad, its all marketing mumbo jumbo.

9. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

But I want to BELIEVE I can throw away (sell) my Macbook for it. Damn it :mad:

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I set someone up with a 3G iPad about a month after launch, he's never connected it to a PC or a Mac, ever.

It was activated in the store.

Folks, you don't HAVE to ever connect an iPad to a PC.

Mind you, I'm not recommending this, but it's hardly a requirement the way some of you are making it out to be.

11. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I think that a) post-pc doesn't mean no-pc, and b) you still need pcs in a post-pc world. It's a post train world, but they are still used, heavily in some areas. It's a post-automobile world as far as countrywide travel is concerned, but cars still have their place. I agreed with him that tablets are the form factor of choice; I believe this because I think the arms race is over for pcs. The pc has always been sold on specs, which people never properly understood (poll the public on dual-core, or DDR3 RAM if you don't believe me), but the tablet pc is a product that will be sold based on user experience and satisfaction, of which the iPad has a lot. PC makers are still selling tablets based on their specs, which is why I agree with Josh Topolosky at Engadget when he agreed that Apple and HP, Palm, Motorola aren't even in the same race, much less competing.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Other than the initial use of plugging in your iPad to a PC to activate it, you don't really need to continue to use a PC (and the occasional backing-up or updating).

You have the:
    -App Store to download Applications
    -iTunes Store to download movies/tv shows/music and podcast
    -You have Applications like GoodReader, Mobile Me and DropBox to manage files and transfer information in/out wirelessly (GoodReader can also be used to download files from Safari and unzip it)
    -Apple makes a Dock Connector Adapter so that you can transfer your images directly from your camera or an sd card without needing a PC.
    -Last year we got Pages, Keynote and Numbers to create content on the iPad (and AirPrint), and this year we are getting iMovie and Garageband.

Though I agree that the current iPad will not replace a PC/Laptop anytime soon, for me when I go on trips I rely only on my iPad and I leave my MacBook Pro at home, and I get by just fine.

13. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind this except for iOS updates... if I am correct in assuming- you cannot just take an iPad and just connect it to any PC with iTunes to get the update. You must SYNC it - therefore you have to make sure the other PC has all of your content (music, movies, apps, whatever). I would probably buy it if it were not for this factor alone.

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Think of a PC as your refrigerator, and the iPad as your lunch box (with a big picture of Steve Jobs on the side of it).

15. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

The problem is that you it can't update it's own iOS without a PC. You also can't back it up or sync media either way. Apps you can download via wifi, of course.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think people are trying to read waaaaaaaaaaay too much into:

"Apple's third post-PC blockbuster"

There's no need to try to warp that into meaning "No-PC".

It simply means what it says: their third blockbuster product since personal computers first became a hit.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can just plug in your iDevice to any computer that has the latest version of iTunes and just simply update your device without needing to sync it first. Syncing beforehand will create a back-up incase something goes wrong, but it is not required and you are also able to just create a back-up without having to sync.

Just plug in your device to any computer and click update, it will prompt you to back-up, but this is not required and just click NO.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me, I doubt very much that a tablet will be able to replace a laptop/desktop for my needs any time soon.

19. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously? I even spoke with an Apple "expert" who told me I couldn't do this. I already have an iPod Touch. I will try updating it to iOS 4.3 on Friday from my sister's computer WITHOUT syncing and update as to what happens. If this is the case, I'd be set to get one (for my needs... which, I am not going to pretend to act like a big-shot, are not very great. E-mail, forums, web-browsing, music, movies, books). :)

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I've been thinking about an 15" MBP for a long time, but I may opt for an iMac and just use my future iPad 2 as my only portable computer. But I'm not sure if it's ready yet, will have to see when its time to buy a new computer.

21. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

You can do it, I've done it but the process is somewhat confusing and unclear.

If someone has a pointer to a good procedure for this, that would be great.

At one point it looked like my iPhone was wiped clean, but it wasn't.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is why you ask these questions here on the forum and not some "Apple Expert" :D

I downloaded the GM release of iOS 4.3 last week, and this past weekend I took a trip to visit family and using my MacBook Pro I was able to update both of my cousin's iPhone 4's using my computer (even though they have their own).

As long as the computer your going to use is not set to Automatically Sync, you should be fine, and that can be changed in the settings.

File> Preferences> Devices

[​IMG]

23. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

YES! I may be iPad-bound :D And with a little extra cash in my pocket from selling my laptop... which I really need for medical expenses. Thank you!

24. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No problem, glad I can help.

25. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

I have one more question- I'm not sure if anyone here can help - is there an app that allows you to delete a movie (not one you make, like a movie downloaded from iTunes on the iPad) or an individual song (again, not one recorded, like a song bought from iTunes) directly from the iPad? It seems absurd to me that someone would have to hook it up to a computer to do something that basic. Thanks