iPad 2 Price?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacDaddy80, Jan 15, 2011.

1. MacDaddy80 macrumors member

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

Even with the rumored display upgrade?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Things get upgraded all the time without a price change. Historically, the instances of a spec bump between revisions with an accompanying price increase are rare.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the iPhone 4 stayed at the same price point as the iPhone 3G/3GS (retail and subsidized versions), and so did the iPod touch 4th generation (though the base model jumped $20, the 32GB and 64GB remained the same price). Even the iPod nano got really small and gained a Mulit-Touch display, and still stayed at the same price points as the previous generation model.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

In Canada, the iPhone 4 is actually even cheaper than when the 3G and 3GS were released. So like everyone else said, better specs don't necessarily mean higher price.

8. cootersgarage6, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

No Price Change, they did the same with the Macbook Air.

See, I think that the price will stay the same, or it might even go down in price. This is because lately Apple has gone down in price. Example 1.) the Ipod touch, for a 32 GB, you only pay 50$ more, it used to be pay $100 more. 2.) Ilife used to be 79 dollars, now it is 49 dollars. The macbook air was almost 2,000 dollars, now it is only $999.
    I bring up the macbook air because the specs are way better, and it's thinner... and they decided just to re vamp it and keep the price low. Like the macbook pro... They vamped it up and kept it at the same solid price.

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

if they bring the price up it wont match prices close to android tablets which is good be a deciding factor. also they would be going back on their word from their ipad keynote. i was too weary but its Apple so i have faith they wont. if they not more than 50

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I remember when the iPad was announced, analysts said that there was an artificially high margin on the iPad incase it didn't sell well, that apple would have a lot of wiggle room to bring down the price. Now that apple knows it can sell a tablet at that price I think the quality of the next iPad will be quite a jump up, but retain the same price. I also have a feeling they'll pull an iPhone and keep last years iPad available at $299-$399.

11. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The real question is if Apple is going to stop selling two models (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi+3G) and instead make them all equipped with 3G capability.

I think it would be really smart of Apple. It seems a lot more likely than this retina display stuff anyway.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see apple changing their prices, may be a scosh down, but that's it. Possibly a slight downward adjustment. In all likelihood is that the price will remain the same.

13. paulos1990 macrumors newbie

I think it will stay the same. I also think they mite knock of the just wifi model tho. :apple:

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not so much. The wifi only models are much more popular than the 3G, so they will certainly keep them

15. Ausn macrumors member

especially with the iOS 4.3 update where you can use your iPhone as a mifi-station.

16. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

But the reason they are more popular is because of the additional cost of the 3G version. I suspect most people just take the trade off of cost versus convenience to get the iPad as cheap as possible. In reality everyone would take the 3G version if it was priced the same as the Wi-Fi only one. In other words, Apple would gather even more interest if all their models came with the 3G option instead of splitting them into two models.

Just think about how much less thought would go into the buying process. It's not like we are talking about an iPhone vs an iPod Touch here where they clearly have different names and different hardware designs. With the iPad the only obvious difference is the black stripe on the top.

In the next iPad they are likely to drop any design difference and make them all 3G capable by default. Also if all iPhones could act as a hotspot, then Apple would sell a lot less 3G models (if they are separate like now) so why even bother having two versions? It's a win for the customer and it's a win for increase in sales. The only question is how much extra it would cost Apple, but I think they actually lose money by having to manufacturer and support two different models (with varying storage).

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

The price will relatively stay the same. Don't worry about that.

18. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Fixed ;)

Europe and Australia will no doubt help the US price stay stable.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Price will stay the same and no they wont knock off the wifi model. Why should they, its a big seller and you dont get rid of a product that sells.

If this is true then prices will stay the same. Which I see no reason for it not to stay the same
    http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/745109-best-buy-getting-ready-ipad-2-a.html

20. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

But what if the dropped the Wi-Fi model but lowered the price of the 3G to the same price that the Wi-Fi model would be? Sales would actually increase.

People keep saying "oh they won't drop the Wi-Fi only model because it's a big seller" but completely ignore the scenario where they could drop it and re-align the prices so that the base model is still $499.

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Not everyone wants 3G, apple knows this. Given that prices possibly showed up on Best buys site show the wifi, goes to show that your example isnt happening. There is no reason to believe that if they dropped the price of the 3g to wifi prices that they still couldnt sell an equal amount of wifi if they dropped those prices. You have to remember people want to get stuff as cheap as possible so if there is a chance to get wifi for cheaper people will take it.

I already have the 3g, Im looking to get another but wifi only. I have no use for another 3g or another 3g monthly cost.

22. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

They will be lowering the price to $299 with the low manufacturing costs of retina display (2048x1536 resolution). :cool:

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

in your dreams

24. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You seem to be ignoring the fact that using 3G is still an option, not a requirement. Even if people don't have a need for 3G, if there was only one version that was sold and it came with 3G, it's not like people would refuse to buy it just because it includes it. The use of 3G is an option, there is no contract, and no default fees. There is no disadvantage at all to having the 3G option.

Also the assumption that a model without 3G is that much cheaper is wrong. The cost of manufacturing 3G modem is nothing. From what I understand most of the cost was in fees from AT&T and FCC taxes, not the additional manufacturing cost. Apple could easily work out a deal with AT&T where that wouldn't be a problem, especially if Verizon is offering a similar deal.

There is no reason why Apple can't get rid of the Wi-Fi only model. But they might choose to keep it separate for some particular reason that isn't about the cost of manufacturing the 3G parts.

As for the Bestbuy thing, I really hope you aren't taking that stuff to mean anything. It's completely unsubstantial and even has two models listed as $599 which makes no sense at all. Try not to read anything into it, because Apple still hasn't announced anything yet. Last year when a few iPad SKUs appeared in Bestbuy's database, it was actually after Apple had announced the iPad, but had not announced an official release date. This recent event would have been complete speculation on Bestbuy's part, because they have no advance knowledge of pricing or specs. They might have some advance knowledge of the number of different SKUs though (though just about anyone can guess that one).

Again, I say that Apple has plenty of reasons to drop the Wi-Fi only model and make 3G be default, with the base price of $499.

25. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You seem to be ignoring the fact that apple doesnt need to drop the wifi. From a business perspective, there is no reason to. Again why drop a model if that model and the next version up both sell? It doesnt make sense, if it was such a great idea, then apple would do it. Im willing to bet they know more then you at what works better for them. Given that prices are already starting to leak out showing the wifi, my money is on them knowing it would be stupid to drop the wifi and lose the opportunity to make a few more bucks on the 3g when people are willing to spend money on both.