iPad 2 - printing whilst out......

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by antdawe, Mar 27, 2011.

1. antdawe macrumors regular

Hi all, I was wondering if this was even possible and if so how can I do it.

I want to print my documents from my iPad to my printer at home whilst out and about.

My set up:-

Canon wifi printer (connected to my home network, wirelessly)

iMac running hacktivator for air print (mac left on during day time hours)

Any way this can be done?

2. patrickj, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

patrickj macrumors regular

I'm not sure whether you can do it via Airprint, but your question made me curious and I have two 3rd party printing apps that are quite good, Printer Pro and Print Central.

Print Central's feature list includes 'print remotely via 3G/Edge' so I just gave that a quick go. You need to download a free desktop app for Mac or Windows, and create a new Gmail account for use in its print by proxy setup. It works though. With very little setup hassle.

The desktop app is a print server and by default it starts automatically with the system and has file sharing enabled. Security-wise, I dislike both those settings, but they're easy enough to turn off.

The app costs $9.99. Here's its iTunes link:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/printcentral-for-ipad/id366020849?mt=8#

3. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's very kind of you.

I hope it works for me