Ipad 2 Push Notifications Not Working

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jayt101, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jayt101 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I have posted this on several other forums with no luck so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light with the issue i'm having with my iPad 2

It seems that my push notifications don't work with apps such as IM+, facebook and IMO. Skype seems to work perfectly but I prefer to use IMO for msn. The problem is I never receive any notifications until I open the app. I'm currently on iOS 5.01 and have a DLINK DIR -601 router.

Here are the things that I've tried.
    1) Reset network settings
    2) Change DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (these solutions worked for about 5 minutes)
    3) Restart iPad with new DNS setting
    4) Ensured that all notifications are on within settings menu and have the 'push' slider turned on
    5) Enable DMZ for Ipad 2 using Ipad's ip address. (this is a hit or miss)
    6) Port Forward ports 5223 based on apples site http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3576

I've had a android galaxy tablet 10.1 and I have never had any issues with getting notifications with that.

Is there a problem with my iPad? Should I return it? I'm suspecting it may be an issue with my iPad....or my router, lol. Please help! THANKS

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I've had the same issues myself. Emails are now pushing fine, as they were not in iOS 5.0. I guess it's just a bug and Apple will fix it in the next update. Until then I am willing to live with it. It does only affect certain apps as you say.

3. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

In the past 3 years, I have had the same problem and each time it was different (I moved apartments a lot). But here are my impressions:

You may want to contact your ISP or the manufacturer of your router. I highly doubt it is the iPad's WiFi selectively blocking all push notifications.

Does your ISP provide a router or modem? Sometimes these may have their own settings. Use an ethernet cable and bypass your router and see if there are any pre-set DNS settings on your ISP's modem.

Try other non-google DNS servers using Namebench

Finally, some cheap-o routers also have caused this problem for me (I bought a trend-net router for $0 after rebate). I could never fix these and ended up throwing it away. Maybe you can ask a friend or family member if there is another router than you can borrow to try and see if that fixes the issue?