iPad 2 questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Jun 2, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

1. How good is it to read journals/papers in pdf format on the iPad 2? ( this is the primary use of it. I constantly need to zoom on my iPod Touch, which works but it's better if you can read it without zooming all the time )
    2. How good is the WIFI connection in comparison to a 2010 MBP ( the iPod Touch has a weaker WIFI connection than my MBP on the 4th floor of my home )
    3.How is the weight and the ability to hold it with 1 hand? ( i had problems holding the iPad 1 in 1 hand )

2. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

1. Obviously depends on the text size (and your eyesight!) but most text 10px and above can be read while viewing the entire page in portrait. Would be so much nicer with retina though... :rolleyes:
    2. Can't comment on comparison to the MBP, but overall wifi reception on the iPad2 is very good in my apartment using an Airport Express - even several rooms away with several solid walls..just as good as using my girlfriends MB or my iPhone at the same range.
    3. I'd say the weight is just about right. I have a smart cover for mine which seems to make it a tiny bit too heavy for holding up for prolonged periods, so I either temporarily remove the cover or rest the iPad in my lap etc.

The pros of the iPad 2 far outweigh the cons, especially if you're simply looking for all the functionality of an iPhone/iPod touch but with a larger screen, battery and better performance.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Foul! You said you only had 2 questions! :D

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

(1) I read / annotate / highlight PDF's for grad school as a significant portion of my usage. Works very well for me. I like the PDF Expert app, you may prefer something different.

(2) I've honestly not noticed any issues with wifi performance, so can't really answer.

(3) Certainly better than the ipad1, but still a bit of heft. No issues here though.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

1. Excellent. text size is adjustable and you can zoom in if details such as diagrams, etc are too small.
    2. wi-fi is ok. if you have the screen in portrait mode and hold it along the left side, it may block some of the antenae coverage.
    3. even though the ipad2 is lighter, it's still probably a little too heavy to hold in one hand with continued reading/use.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

1--great for reading PDFs and other documents. Love it. I've had people send me music in PDF format and used the iPad on my music stand instead of printing it out.

2--On my Wireless N network at home, 2 floors away from my router I can still max out at 13 or 14 Mbps wirelessly. I have never dropped a connection, and downloading 1.5 GB TV shows or games takes less than 5 minutes.

3. It's still heavy. If I were only reading text, I would prefer an ereader, but I like magazines, books, and color documents available to me wherever I go, so the weight is a sacrifice I was willing to make.

7. Calvinator666 macrumors member

1. I think reading from the iPad works fine. And also, double tapping on the page and it will adjust to just about the ideal size.

2. The WIFI connectivity for the iPad 2 is excellent and I have not encountered any kind of dropped signals all around my house.

3. Definitely a hell of a lot lighter in comparison with the iPad 1. But I felt more comfortable and secure holding the iPad 1, probably because of its squarish design. But what do I know? I am probably holding the iPad 2 the wrong way.