iPad 2 really slow

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dubs83, Jul 23, 2015.

1. dubs83 macrumors regular

I've tried several things to fix this (turned off ipad completely, let battery die out, close all programs, updated software version) but regardless my ipad is incredibly slow opening up any programs. I just noticed though that I only have 300MB of space left on the ipad. Would this be the bottleneck for me? I can't think of anything else that could be causing it to be so slow. If it is space, how much free do I need to make everything work faster again?

Also, right now it is showing 3.2gb of space being taken up by gmail (I only have a 16GB ipad so this is a lot). I didn't realize gmail downloads all my email. Is there a way for gmail not to do this so I can delete some space? I assume the only way of doing this is not using the mail icon on the homepage and just getting mail through the browser?

thanks for the help

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Freeing up some space won't hurt, that's for sure. Clean out your email. You are sure that there aren't any features turned ON that you don't need? Like Bluetooth? Make sure email fetch is set to a long interval. Location services use resources too. Lots of little things add up. Background app updates is another killer.

The Air 2 should NOT run slowly though.

3. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the original ipad (I think the second generation though). Not an Air. I freed up about 4gb and it is a little better but still pretty slow. turned off bluetooth, auto updates. I'll look into location services too. It's only a wi fi ipad. Can't think of anything else to torn off though...

4. hanleygreen macrumors newbie

I also have an iPad 2. The problems started with iOS 8.
    It takes up far mor memory.
    I can't re-install iOS 7 so consider a hard re-boot stop using mail AP and use webmail. Also apps like kindle use loads of memory but the iPad is perfect for managing an Amazon account, but again get rid of the Amazon app and use the web.
    Main problem is apple, there is no support for reinstalling an older iOS.

5. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. I have the kindle and amazon app on my ipad. Will take a look to see how much memory it is taking up. Thanks for the tip!