iPad 2 Rear Facing Camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If tablets start being released with rear facing cameras, would apple still not add one in iPad 2?

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

No one knows, considering how the first generation iPad just recently came out.

There's no point speculating and demanding features in the second iPad when it's at least 9 months away. Anyone who tells you "information they heard from some source" is just trolling. iPad 2 is far from ready.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Apple does not do anything Apple does not want to. For instance, a lot of computers come with Blu-Ray drives. Apple has no intention of ever using that. If Steve does not want it, we will not get it. Even if a billion people wanted it.

4. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I understand all that. I myself would really use a rear facing camera especially as a video camera. iPad(big screen)+video camera+iMovie=one heck of a media creation device. I'm probably wishing too much.

We used to hold 1 ton video cameras on our shoulders in the 90's. News companies still do. It wouldn't be any weirder to hold an iPad out in front of u to shoot short films and be able to edit them right on the screen. Would it?!!!

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

"I am not a fanboy. I just like my iPad."

i'm beginning to doubt that.

6. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

LOL. OK U GOT ME!

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

It would be pretty weird to hold an iPad out at arm's length and record a video. I'm not saying Apple shouldn't put cameras in the next revision, but try walking about like that with your iPad.
    I can just begin to imagine how many dropped iPads will appear at the Genius Bar if that occurs.
    However, it would be amazing to edit movies on the iPad.

8. WLS macrumors 65816

No! why? well first because it's not an iPhone!
    Its getting old having people say every new iPhone feature should be on the iPad
    So lets recap.
    The iPad will not have the retina display. It would not be needed because the operating distance is farther than the iPhone's operating distance and would be way too expensive.
    The iPad will not have a back side camera. It is too large to be held as a camera. You would not be able to hold it steady and access the controls and you would look like a complete dork doing so.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

While I think a front facing camera with facetime is a given, I don't understand how you'd use a rear facing camera and be able to manipulate the controls on the screen--way too awkward.

That's not to say that other tablet makers won't rush out to include a rear facing camera. The only way they have been able to compete so far is to add features that aren't actually very usable--but yet include in marketing efforts.

10. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I understand your points, but if the galaxy tablet, black pad, or webos tablet comes with a rear facing camera, I'm gonna be disappointed.

11. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

For me the who shape of the iPad doesn't really give itself to be a useful video recording device, and as editing video, perhapps I'm spoiled with my 27" iMac and my old macPro, but really the ipad and iPhone anrn't really the optimal tool for that if you can use a desk top.

(that being said to watch small clips, being able to transfer them via the camera connection kit into the vidio app on the pad wopuld be quite nice.)

12. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

Those tablets will probably also run Flash. Are you disappointed about that as well? You don't have to purchase the next iPad.

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

No, you will be disappointed if you actually PURCHASED one of those other products.

Front facing camera- okay how many of yall with iPhone 4's actually use face time ?

How many with iSight's or webcams actually use them for video chat or video Skype ?

Come on.... Really. So do we really need a camera on the iPad ?...

14. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Of course not, flash is horrible on mobile devices. But would a camera be horrible?

15. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Ur right.

16. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

A camera wouldn't be horrible. I'd really like to see a front facing camera on the next revision.

17. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

We're going to have that buddy. No worries. Talkin something else here though. It's funny to me how some of us think that holding an iPad for facetime would be awkward. I really don't understand that.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

I bet once you buy those you'll be more disappointed from their turtle like performance and execution.

19. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I never said I would buy one. That's a whole nother story. But I know I would. Lol

20. LGgeek macrumors newbie

21. Ganges macrumors member

Jesus Christ, If they offered camera, and cellphone, ass implants, I think some of you people would go for it!:rolleyes:

I'll be pissed if they cheapen the awesome Ipad with a stupid rear facing "Phone cam", complete with horrible looking shells, and cases that have a hole poked in it.....

How about buying a nice pro-sumer cam instead?

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Amen to that brother. They have already ruined the iPods...

I can see it now, iRubber. Now with LED lighted 5 megapixal front facing ProFo cam.

23. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

for prolonged video chat it would be awkward because you'd be shifting around and making the image a blur for the other person.

Unlike a desktop or laptop that is stationary when being used.

I would like a rear facing camera on the iPad....not because its needed or that I would really use it a lot...but because I think it would be an easy upgrade that people would like to have.

I wonder how much weight would be added to the iPad with 2 cameras in it?

24. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

I doubt they would add a rear facing camera. If so, that's just plain silly.

25. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

For Apple to win, (other companies) don't have to lose. For Apple to win, Apple has to make great products. Apple won't add a back facing camera to compete with the other guys...