iPad 2 refurb for Mothers Day

Discussion in 'iPad' started by techmonkey, Apr 26, 2012.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I would like to get my mom an iPad for Mothers Day. She currently uses a Dell Mini 9 netbook and the only Apple product she has ever owned is an iPod Nano. I've read good things about refurbished Apple products and at $349, the iPad 2 seems like a great deal. Besides the new screen and faster CPU, is there anything that my Mom would benefit from with the new iPad? Keep in mind, she is currently using that slow netbook, mainly to play card and puzzle games, browse the net, and check email.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Get the iPad2. I have one and love it. It will make the netbook obsolete. I would also get an appleTV to go along with it for fun.

Just be sure that the stuff she does on the Dell isn't flash-based. Because if that's the case, then your present will just make her sad and you might be disowned...

3. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

You pretty much nailed it. Better screen and upgraded GPU, not sure about the A5x as far as how it compares to the A5. I assume any extra processing will mainly be to deal with the far higher resolution.

Also a better camera too, but to me a camera on an iPad isn't needed. But that's just my own personal opinion. Though the iPad 2 does of course have front and rear cameras anyway.

But the iPad 2 (or any iPad for that matter) will suit her needs just fine. Far better then a NetBook.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Get the iPad 2. She will love it.

The new iPad is even better, but for her needs, the iPad 2 would be fine.

5. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I didnt even compare the cameras. I chuckle when I see someone hold up there iPad to take a picture, especially moments when you using a real camera (space shuttle launch...).

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like only white is available now on the Apple refurb page. Any ideas how often that page gets up dated? Any particular day batches get added?

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

If you are near a microcenter, you can get an iPad 2 new for $349.

10. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I ordered a black the day before yesterday and am watching the shipping progress. (I went for the free shipping as I am on a budget.) The refurbs do sell out, but then reappear. Our local retail stores have only the white which you can get for $399.

Try Macmall. They show black and white and their price is $375 with free shipping and there should be no sales tax.

11. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I cant seem to find refurb iPads on MacMall, just a bunch on non-Apple devices under the refurb section.

12. thefeebster macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago, I bought an ipad2 as well to replace my netbook. Don't regret it at all.

I would wait for a refurb. Quality is just the same, just like new.

I recommend subscribing to this: http://refurb-tracker.com/ I was watching the refurb site everyday until i found this. It emails you whenever there is a change on the page, meaning they tell you when new stock is added. It's great because the 16GB tend to sell out in hours. For the Canadian site, there were two restocks last week of the 16GB, but none the previous 2 weeks. I'd take a guess and say the US site is updated more frequently.

13. batotman macrumors 6502

Bought my mother in law a refurb iPad 2 a few weeks ago and ended up getting my wife one shortly thereafter. They are both email, web, and solitaire players. My wife didn't use her laptop much after I bought her an iPad 1. Now she doesn't use it at all. My MIL has a nice Dell i5 laptop but after initial tech anxiety is using her iPad 2 quite often. Definitely a good gift.

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The basic 16gb ipad2 model seems like it would suit your mom's needs just fine. Maybe throw in a nice little case together with it? :)