iPad 2 release... 5 P.M.?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JEM6, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JEM6 macrumors newbie

JEM6

Last year I had purchased the iPad at an Apple retail store that sold it upon store opening at 9 A.M. Out of curiosity, has Apple ever released a product at 5 P.M.? How exactly is that supposed to work, and wouldn't it make more sense to release it when the store opens?
    I'm just trying to plan when to get to the Apple store since I've only been to morning releases. Thanks!

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yeah it's kind of weird. I got a 32gb 3G iPad for my birthday in August, so for our anniversary I figured I'd stand in line for hubby's iPad 2 present. Still figuring out how I'll actually need to queue up for an Apple Store that's inside of a mall that probably doesn't open until 9am. Odd launch time.

3. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Is Apple going to let people order online BEFORE the 11th or actually ON the 11th?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

They have done this in the past. The last time was in 2007 when Apple released the first iPhone, it went on sale at 6pm and they closed the store 2 hours before (4pm) to get things set up ready. Then they did it a second time when they released Mac OS X Leopard a few months later with the same schedule (closed 4pm, re-opened at 6pm).

I would assume that releasing the iPad so late into the evening would be a lot easier to get a crowed than releasing it in the morning and have no one show up like for the Verizon launch, its all about publicity and making headlines for the 6 o'clock news.

5. taeccool macrumors newbie

ON 11th.

6. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

This is exactly why Apple is releasing it @ 5pm.

A late release, will mean that Apple will close their store down @ 2PM to prepare, and this is good because:

1. Those who cant wait to get their hands on the iPad 2 will be near or in the store just as they are closing it, so there will be a MUCH bigger line.

2. The croud of those who got kicked out of the Apple store will cause HUGE curiosity for those who arent in touch with whats new, they will be interested.

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

The 3G version of the iPad 1 was launched at 5pm on a Friday. They closed the store at 4pm and put screens over the windows. This way the whole store was then dedicated to iPad buyers when it reopened. Went pretty fast, unlike for iPhone releases that need to be activated. With so many models, my only concerns is them running out of the color/size/3G/carrier you want.

8. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

does anyone know if this means 5 p.m. for walmart and best buy? because i would not head to an apple store for that longgg line. i think walmart around here wouldn't be bad. i just hope they have a lot of stock in case.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5pm everywhere.

I am sure that Best Buy, Walmart and Target will not close an hour in advance like the Apple Store is going to, but I am sure that they will have a line designated for iPad shoppers.

10. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

source?

11. r2fa3l macrumors regular

im sure walmart will sell it before.
    at least the one near i live will.

they ALWAYS sells cd's/dvd's a day or two
    before. + HP7 [book] i bought it a couple hours before midnight

IDK about bestbuy.
    since they usually get explicit instructions from apple

12. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

i'm gonna call walmart or go in there the day before and ask them what the deal is with when they're gonna sell it then i'm gonna go there before that time, wait, then buy it.

i hope apple isn't gonna make the stores wait til 5 p.m. i really would rather go in the morning and get it outta the way.

i read an article that said someone from target said they'll be selling it on or around march 11 as well.