iPad 2 Release Date and Where Available -- The Brass Tacks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Quasi-Mac, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Quasi-Mac, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Quasi-Mac macrumors newbie

From the information out there it appears the actual sales of the devices could be as soon as March 2nd, and as late as June.

But sprinkle in some logic, coupled with the iPad 1 inventories and shipments, and I would venture to guess as follows:

Pre-orders on line start right away after the event on the 2nd. But the actual device in-hand won't happen for anyone until some time between this coming weekend and a week from the 2nd. Devices reach pre-orderers and resellers around the same date.

The reasons: iPad 1 inventories are drying up quickly; Apple wouldn't want a void with the competition out there. So we're not looking at anywhere from April to June.

March 2nd is too quick. In that shipments of the iPad 2 need to be made to resellers, and businesses who make cases and other things to protect these devices need a little time to crank out their products. Not that a few days is much time. Would prefer to be wrong about that, though; prefer immediate availability.

2. Liberal macrumors member

Agreed.

However, I do think it's possible that Apple was able to get the iPads to the Apple stores quietly. It could be that Authorized Retailers won't get them for a few weeks or a month and there could possibly be immediate availability at Apple stores. If not immediate, we will definitely see a near-immediate release, most likely next week. My guess is Tuesday, March 8th.

3. Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

You make a lot of sense, especially in the part where you agree with me.

Is there a history of Apple quietly slipping inventory into its Apple Stores, without there being a bunch of buzz online about trucks or sealed shipping crates, etc.?

I think the tell-tale sign here is the dry-up of the iPad 1 line in stores.

4. bobTX10 macrumors member

Yep I have to agree as well. There is no way apple would announce the second gen iPad and not ship it for weeks let alone months. After the announcement people will stop buying iPad 1... and Apple wouldn't let that go for long.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

March 8th or 9th is very likely and a very reasonable guess.

However, the 3G version may not be available for 3-4 weeks as it has to go through FCC approval first.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

The current iPad inventory is essentially dried up. Pre-ordering should more than make up the gap.

7. Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

The question now is: If the supplies are as limited as some of the sources would indicate, is it a good idea to be ready to head to an Apple Store, or be ready to put in a pre-order on-line.

8. Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Does one really need the 3G iPad, with the increased costs and associated provider fees, if you have an iPhone and can tether the 3g signal into a Wi-Fi hot spot?

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Who said I have an iPhone? :D

10. Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood. There's a reason why the name of this messenger is Quasi-Mac.

11. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

I have a question that hasn't been answered really. Will the iPad 2 be in stores like Target or Wal-Mart in the next 1-3 months? Thanks.

12. Quasi-Mac, Mar 1, 2011

Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know, ma'am. None of us know.

We can speculate, however, and that's why we're here.

The educated guess is that Target and Wal-Mart would be getting the device around the same time that the devices hit the hands of the pre-orderers (if there are pre-orders); and the time that the devices hit the Apple Stores. Would think that it would be anywhere from this weekend to next Wednesday.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Cost vs convenience. Most don't really need an ipad to begin with, 3G or Wifi is just a refinement of choice.

When you need 3G or not is up to you; depends on your specific usage.

If you want to JB your phone and go that route, that's certainly doable. Or if you want to add tethering service to your non-JB phone, you can do that too. Or get a 3G ipad and only turn on data service when you need it.

14. Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

You've obviously have been around the block a bit on these sorts of things. For someone who is not an AT&T subscriber and who does not have an iPhone, is it better to simply tether a phone device compatible with my cellular coverage, or to go ahead and plunk down the additional $130+ and get a 3g iPad with an on-and-off service plan.

15. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Always buy the 3G for resale, and travel. You will need it sometime.

16. Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Your point is well-taken. Just sold mine and my daughter's iPads without 3g; and then my business partners' with 3g for about $150+ more.

Can a non-AT&T person use the 3g iPad without a long-term commitment? Is it by the month? How much?

17. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    There should be a new Verizon version as well, but AT&T (GSM) version is no commitment $15 for 200MB, $25 for 2GB month to month, use when you need it and cancel anytime.

18. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Yes.
    The iPad 3G contract is month-by-month, no long term commitment. It's $14.99/250mb or $25/2gb and you can sign up right on the iPad.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...-INDEX&cp=CONFIGURE-IPAD-INDEX#data-plan-faqs

Unless you're lucky enough to have gotten in at the start when they used to have $29.99/unlimited and are "grandfathered" in. Like me. ;)

Have Fun,
    Keri

19. Quasi-Mac, Mar 1, 2011

Quasi-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks. That's very reasonable on the part of Verizon and AT&T. But I think I can tether my non-iPhone phone to beam out a Wi-Fi without those service charges. And the iPad, the undisputed heavyweight (although lightweight) champion of the world tablet can pick up that signal no matter from where it emanates.