iPad iPad 2 "Replacement Needed" Error

Discussion in 'iPad' started by youse995, Apr 26, 2014.

1. youse995 macrumors newbie

I was just restoring my iPad 2 to iOS 7.1.1 and trying to restore as a new iPad. After setting the language and Wi-Fi password, I was hit with an error message titled "Replacement Needed" during the activation process.

Looking through forums on the issue and found that many people are having a problem, particularly with iOS 7 activation and with the iPad 2 as well.

Because this is out of warranty, I would need to pay $309 to get the iPad replaced, according to Apple's support website. Ridiculous, paying for a refurb device because the iPad bricked itself after a restore.

Anyone encountered this issue before?
    What could I do to fix it (besides going to the Genius bar)? I tried every possible solution, even did a DFU restore, etc.

Attached Files:

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Does there have to be a SIM card present? Not sure, just asking. Maybe that's what it doesn't like?

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I have seen a few posts on the Apple forum about this issue. Some have had success with a restore. Suspect there is some sort of problem with the Apple database because so many with IPAD 2 are having this problem when trying to update to the latest IOS.

You can try a DFU restore but suspect you are just going to have to keep chasing Apple.

This, plus the Facetime problem Plus the Siri problem all seem to have occurred very recently and it would seem they must have made some changes that are causing it.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I've seen this issue on several iPhones of late (though no iPads), and it always resolves itself after a hard reset. YMMV of course.

5. youse995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this is just fantastic. I have a second iPad of exact model which I found lying around at home. I then proceeded to restore it to the latest version to remove all the junk off there. Fast forward... Same error on the second iPad. So now I have two supposedly bricked iPads with Replacement Needed.

A replacement of the iPad 2 in Australia costs AUD $309. So to replace two iPads will cost be $618. This is just ridiculous. Clearly this is proof that Apple's servers are stuffed up.

6. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Both iPad 2? I am little bit worried about restoring my iPads now,.. Though...I have iPad mini with retina display and iPad 4 and iPad mini 1st gen.

You could try DFU restore before go to Apple Store...tell them the iPad is still functional, it is to your fault...and Apple need to fix it...

7. youse995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes both iPad 2's failed to activate with the same error.

The thing is reading other forum posts, they all had to pay for a refurb, so it's likely that they will be asking me to pay to replace them.

Looks like I have no choice than to go to the apple store and argue.

8. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yeah...that is really sucks..I hope it works out for you

9. youse995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will keep you guys updated.

10. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

My iPad 2 which I purchased in Thailand a few years ago started displaying this error when I upgraded the software earlier this year. A trip to a UK Apple store resulted in the Genius saying he had never seen the message before and then accused me of having a counterfeit model which was why Apple servers were stopping the activation process. He kindly offered to take it in as part exchange against a new Air or to swap it out for another 2 at £199. I declined both options and returned home. I emailed Tim Cook with this tale of woe at the beginning of July. I also had a separate moan about the Home button replacement on my iPhone 5 which took 14 days and resulted in the store and AppleCare not actually knowing where my phone was at one point.

No reply from Tim Cook however I tried activation again a couple of weeks ago. The so called counterfeit iPad is now working again.

11. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Anyone having these issues, know you are not alone. A few months ago, Apple was having to replace my iPhone 5 because their Geniuses were sliding my iPhone around while diagnosing it and scratched the back after they asked me to take my iPhone out of its case. The replacement they handed me said the same thing as the OP's iPad. They said it was a hardware fault with the iPhone replacements they received and replaced it again. That one had the same issue, along with the one after that, and the one after that, and 2 more times after that. Finally one activated with Apple, but then I couldn't connect to Verizon to finish the activation.

I brought it up the manager who, after seeing all the issues, decided to go ahead and authorize a discount if I traded in my iPhone 5. In the end, I ended up with a 5s for around $500 off contract with tax which wasn't a bad deal in my opinion. They also threw in AppleCare+ since I had it on the old iPhone.