iPad 2 Replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yaymath, Jun 14, 2012.

1. yaymath macrumors regular

My iPad 2's screen just stopped working. It just turned black (though I can see that it's on). It can turn it on and off and I can see the difference in brightness. But it doesn't show anything–it's just black. Nonetheless, the touch screen works, as I can unlock it and I can hear the sound. It shows up fine in iTunes, and I tried resetting it to the factory settings and doing everything of that sort, but the screen problem is still there. So I've decided that I need to ask Apple for a replacement since it's stilled covered by the one-year warranty.

My question is: do I need to an Apple Retail Store (which is about 50 miles away), or can I just go to a nearby Best Buy, Walmart, or Sam's Club (where the iPad was purchased) to get a replacement?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Sounds like you're having a backlight problem. Your best solution is to take it to an Apple Store. All of the stores you mentioned don't offer replacements unless you purchased an extended warranty from them at the time of purchase.

3. yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah they'll replace it as long as it's within the warranty. You can also call them via their 800 number and they'll arrange to send you out a box to ship them your defective iPad.

5. yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

Since my iPad 2 is still under warranty, will they replace it with another iPad 2? (a refurbished one?)

Can I have it replaced with the new iPad?

6. -TYLER macrumors regular

You will get a iPad 2 refurb most likely.

7. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Usualy, it is with a remanufactured product. AKA, they change the shell+screen but keeps the innards. They will definitely not replace with the New iPad...sorry :(

8. -TYLER macrumors regular

On refurbs they get a new battery as well.

9. yaymath, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

Not even if I pay them $100?

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Nope, they make no exceptions. Don't worry, I'm typing this from my refurbed iPad 2. It looks and works as new. As others have said the battery and the outer case has been replaced. They also go thru the device thoroughly and repair any issues with it, they run diagnostics to make sure everything is functioning properly.

11. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

But honestly, apple refurb should not say its refurb. It's clearly "remanufactured". It look new, feel new. Makes happy clients :D

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

Very true. My refurbed iPad 2 looks brand new, you couldn't tell it was a refurb.

13. yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

What I meant was paying an extra fee to get the New iPad (i.e. 3rd generation) instead of an iPad 2.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Either way the answer is no, they won't do that. ;)

15. yaymath thread starter macrumors regular

16. Rodster macrumors 68040

My advice would be to get a refurb from Apple, sell it. THEN, buy an iPad 3. :)

17. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

True. Pay the difference. Problem solve :eek: