iPad Ipad 2 roll back

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Polanter, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Polanter macrumors newbie

I have an Ipad 2 and have checked the serial number and am told it's an iPad2 3G ( it also has Wi-Fi ) I updated it to IOS6 but now want to take it back to IOS 5 I have managed to find out how to do this but am unsure as to which IPSW file to download. I want to jailbreak the ipad when done available options seem to be ■iPad 2 WiFi ■iPad 2 GSM ■iPad 2 CDMA any help apprciated Thanks in advance Polanter

2. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Sorry man, your iPad can't be downgraded because Apple doesn't support downgrading iOS. The only way is through a 3rd party method where you save your device's unique SHSH Blobs. These Blobs enable you to sign older firmwares for installation on your iPad. SHSH blobs can only be saved for the current Apple supported iOS version (currently it's iOS 6 ). If you saved the SHSH BLobs when iOS 5.1.1 was the latest version then you can downgrade back to iOS 5.1.1.

A jailbreak is being worked on currently for iOS 6 so time should fix your problem :).

3. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Hi, as a person with around 40 years experience in Radio & Communications technology - oh and around 28 years experience with Apple products - the best guess I can give you for your firmware file is the ■iPad 2 GSM one! It's a guess because when you're messing with firmware it's better to be sure! my iPad2 is just the WiFi version, I know this because on the back, engraved into the aluminium is Model A1395, presumably, your iPad2 is Model A1396. Please check this!!! (I have successfully downgraded the iOS firmware on an iPod, so it shouldn't be a problem, once you choose the right file!)

(for reference http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/index-ipad-specs.html everymac has the iPad specs and Model numbers, but you can also run the Geekbench iOS app or similar analytics to be sure)

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This is plain and simple.

Just turn on the iPad and go to settings. Is there a cellular option? If so, turn it on, and the carrier will pop up. AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. If there is no cellular option than it's WiFi.

But as others have said, you can't just downgrade without SHSH blobs.

5. Polanter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answeres everyone ok I have a iPhone 4s running IOS6 is it possible to roll this back to IOS5 so it can be jailbroken.
    Thanks

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Nope can't downgrade a 4S once at iOS 6, not even when you have SHSH's

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

8. Polanter thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I have this right at the moment there is no way to jailbreak iPad 2 or Iphone 4s that is running IOS6. I there likley to be away in the near future?

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes you are correct once you go 6.0 you can't go back.
    question #2 best answer at the moment (maybe)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    In the future there might be a way to just JB ios 6.0 so you wont need to downgrade to 5.1.1
    But without shsh blobs you can never downgrade any device no matter what.
    So start saving your shsh blobs now by using TinyUmbrella and maybe in the future we will have more options than now.

11. Polanter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers everyone will have to wait for someone to come up with a way to jailbreak IOS 6

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Just to clarify, if you have never manually saved off your blobs, you're stuck yes? Cydia doesn't save them on their server automatically?

Like a fool, I updated my jailbroke iPad 2 to iOS6 but never manually saved off my blobs.

13. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

If Cydia has them that should be enough.

14. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

Does Cydia automatically save them? I remember there used to be an option for make my life easier when jailbreak me came out, but I don't see it now.

15. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

It is my understanding that yes, cydia "tries" to save them automatically. I say try because I don't think cydia wants to guarantee a feature like that and then get a lot of flack from people who are missing blobs. Plus tiny umbrella is so easy to use and very streamlined. That's why absolutely everywhere you read it says to save them manually with Tiny Umbrella regardless of anything else. For those wondering, even if a blob isn't listed at the top of cydia that does not mean they weren't saved. I've used tiny umbrella in the past and it said cydia had my blobs. But when I opened cydia, they were not listed. I then proceeded to use redsn0w to pull the blob from cydia and it worked perfectly. So that list in cydia isn't a be all end all. I have been told that cydia does not automatically list the saved blobs and that something has to be done server side before cydia will show the newest blobs. For example, my cydia app does not say I have the 6.0 blobs saved even though I've used it a bunch since 6.0 came out. However, tiny umbrella confirms that cydia does indeed have the 6.0 blobs.

If anyone knows of any misinformation in my post please clarify. This is just a combination of what I have experienced and have read. But we all know what happens if we assume everything we read on the Internet is true....

Either way, I hope this clarifies some questions.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you saved them by clicking make my life easier before cydia usually saves them. But there are so many millions of devices waiting in line that sometimes cydia doesn't have time to save blobs for everyone. A new firmware might come out so apple closes the window of opportunity. It's always good to save them with TU just to be 100%

17. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Ran tinyumbrella and it found my blobs (5.1.1 included). Saved them off to my PC, so I'm all set now.