iPad 2 screen crack

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ct2k7, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hello,

I purchased an iPad 2 just over a month ago from a retailer and not directly from Apple.

About two weeks ago, I noticed a scratch or crack (looked like a crack to me) on the screen. This was within 30 days after I received the product, and was thus, in warranty. The item was then sent to Apple for "repair". The manager did a preinspection and noted to signs of damage or physical abuse.

The only time I had dropped it was when I dropped it on my bed. I doubt there would be enough force here to cause a scratch/scrack.

Today, I received a phone call saying the item has been returned from Apple, citing physical damage. The lady on the phone, which was the same person who dealt with me when I sent it in, said that the scratch had developed into a crack and looked/felt much larger.

I do have AppleCare on the device.

Should I just suck it up and buy a new one?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

3. Built macrumors 68020

Heck no. You need to call Apple Care and state your case. It's WAY too easy for them to cite physical damage.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I doubt the screen would crack without being dropped or being put through some sort of force.

5. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I original thought it was a scratch, it looked like scratch.

Just called AppleCare, a case has not been made by Apple, so they might never have received it.

They sending one out for Monday.

6. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

The store manager could not find any evidence of such.

Plus, I thought it was a scratch, until it started to expand, quickly.

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

in an Apple store yesterday waiting to have my Apple Tv replaced and the guy next to me was having a one time replacement Ipad given to him and he admitted to dropping it!

Go to the store or call them up and make your case, suck nothing, others get this everyday and Apple expects this kind of thing with a new product.

8. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Cheers. I can't go to store - it's at least 30 miles away, and at least an hour's drive - does not fit in with work schedule, but I will do as soon as I get home.