iPad 2 screen flicker when quickly sleep then wake. can people test this?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 499357, May 3, 2011.

1. 499357, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

499357 Guest

Hi.

As the title says if i press the sleep/wake button a few times quickly there will be a screen flicker with lines on the screen for a split second, can people test this for me to see if it's software related? 4 of the 5 ipad's i've tested this on has the issue. Does your iPad 2 do this? thanks

2. 499357 thread starter Guest

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I have actually experienced this (or something similar) when closing apps sometimes. Home screen shows then flashes once or twice very quickly. Will monitor and if it continues I ll bring to an Apple Store.

4. 499357 thread starter Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah that could be the same thing... Can you try something for me? Just press the sleep/wake button repeatedly with about a half a second gap between presses and tell me if your screen flickers? Cheers

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

No flickering on my iPad 2 or my father's.

I am very wary of flickering LCD screens since the experience with the one in my car. The LCD screen in my car used to flicker when I put it to sleep, one time it came back on with striped lines. Turned out to be a bad solder on a board.

7. 499357 thread starter Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow I hope that isn't the case with my iPad! It's strange though because my first iPad, had the flicker and bad backlight bleed, second one had much worse backlight bleed, it also had the flicker at first but then it stopped doing it. Now I have one with minor backlight bleed but the flicker is there. Also my friend has an iPad that does the same thing! So I'm still not sure if it's software or hardware. It doesn't really affect my usage too much, I'm just worried that it could mean problems down the line like your car stereo...

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Does it happen at any other time i.e. when the device is idle or at very low backlight levels?

9. 499357 thread starter Guest

no, only when I wake the device straight after putting it to sleep. like say you want to use the picture frame function on the lock screen. You sleep the iPad, then wake it to see the lock screen. That's how I first noticed it. And its not like a backlight flickering though, the whole screen is black with coloured lines across it for a split second.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Go to Apple Store to Genuis Bar and they will swap it out for another....

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yip, if it's not backlight flicker but screen corruption then take it to an Apple Store - could be a faulty GPU core.

12. 499357 thread starter Guest

Yeah that's true, although I've finally got one with with very minor backlight bleed so I'm a bit hesitant. I think I'll wait until 4.3.3 comes out and see if it's fixed then...

13. 499357 thread starter Guest

video

so here's a video of the flicker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOUoeKpVFw. I find it very strange because all ipad 2's i've used have the issue (except all apple store display models) and a friend of mine has it so i'm thinking if i get a replacement it'll most probably just have the same thing. Also weirdly if you view the ipad from an angle from the top or bottom the flickering disappears! then when you slowly turn it back to the normal angle you can see it again. Again it's not really annoying in normal use, it's just strange that some iPad's do this, so it must be a hardware thing?
    What do you guys think it is??

14. 499357 thread starter Guest

so 4.3.3 downloaded and flicker still there, can anyone else replicate the same flicker as in the video? every iPad 2 I've seen does this so surely some people on this forum's do the same? :confused: or am I just unlucky to have the same thing 3 times in a row? thanks

15. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Just tried mine which is still on 4.3.2 and it definitely doesn't do that. Will try my first gen when I get home as well to see if that does but I'm sure I would have noticed this as it is obvious in your video.

16. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

I've noticed with my friends and my past ipad that if they did have those vertical/horizontal lines going across the screen when you double tap the sleep/wake button then you're probably also experiencing random reboots and app shutdowns. It's more than likely faulty gpu or faulty ram. my friends lost a couple hours worth of garageband stuff because of a random reboot.

17. mimeArtist macrumors member

Yes it does do it when you sit there like a moron pressing on and off repeatedly... i bet if you kept doing it you could probably break it too...

18. 499357 thread starter Guest

Well obviously I don't sit there turning it on and off... because I'm not mentally ill...:cool: I just noticed it and was wondering if it could lead to further issues and it's normal. I payed nearly £600 for this I wanna make sure the screens not randomly gonna fail or something.

And to the guy above thanks for the info. I did have GarageBand crash on me once losing my project, not sure if it's related though.

19. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

Classy.:rolleyes: Like I said, a double tap or if you have the smart cover (notice how i don't try and belittle you by saying "if you can even afford a smart cover")a quick open and close, especially if friends and family are playing with it, will also demonstrate it.

20. 499357 thread starter Guest

Yeah that's it! i first noticed it because i wanted to turn picture frame mode on which is on the lock screen.But yeah the reason i made this thread is to see if this is common or not, but i'm still not sure. I think i'm gonna assume it's not that common and i should get it replaced...

21. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

Just for your reference, I took one in for this issue and they did replace it. Funny thing was she was trying to write down the serial number from the settings, general about area, and as she was writing it down it reboot and showed the apple logo. I would recommend making an appointment.

22. 499357 thread starter Guest

wow that's not good! I will make an appointment next time I'm near an apple store. I'm guessing your replacement doesn't flicker then?

23. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

no the replacement didn't do that flicker vertical/horizontal line thing. However, I ended up returning it anyway to wait for the first round production faults to cycle through in hopes of ordering one later...ie a couple days ago lol.