Ipad 2 screen lock issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Drew39k, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Drew39k macrumors newbie

I was given an ipad 2 that the previous owner gave up on. It's out of warranty so Apple will only use it as a trade towards a refurb(would still be 250 out of pocket). I'm not looking to put that much money into an outdated tablet. I figured, though, if I could fix it it get it fixed for relatively cheap it would be a good deal.

So here's the issue. The ipad will function perfectly fine for a random period of time then become unusable. The lock button will start activating sporadically on its own. Locking the screen or bringing up the power down option constantly. While it's malfunctioning if the home button is pressed it will take a screen shot some times. Also the lock screen button won't recognize being pressed. I uploaded a video of the issue to YouTube.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=ufiZlPrb-Qk

I'm wondering if you guys have seen this issue or have ideas on how to fix it or if there is a setting to completely disable that button as I can just use a Smart Cover to put the pad into sleep mode. I tried wiping the ipad completely, have not tried any jailbreaks yet.

2. Drew39k thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like the issue may have been that the lock button was dying. Just slowly. The button seems broken now which is okay with me. Smart Cover is capable of locking the screen just fine

3. lizzydd macrumors newbie

Ipad 2 will not turn on

I replaced the digitizer in my sons Ipad 2 and when I powered it on everything worked fine except the power button and "up" volume did not work so when I disconnected the logic board cable and 3g antenna cable the screen went blue and then black with something blurred and locked on the screen. I had no way to power it down or disconnect the battery so I believe I fried something? am I correct? I dont know where to start and fix? It use to turn on when I plugged it into itunes on my laptop but now it wont recognize the ipad on itunes after the screen went bizerk. Help!