iPad 2 screen more resistant to fingerprints than iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dread, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

Anyone notice that iPad 2 screen more resistant to fingerprints than iPad 1. I rarely need to clean mine. On the iPad 1 fingerprints were so bad they were clearly visible with the screen on. Not the case with iPad 2. I just typed this message without leaving any prints.

2. rick98761 macrumors 6502

It's probably just due to time. All my iPhones and original iPad got worse at picking up prints as time went on. Probably due to the coating wearing off a bit.

3. gatearray macrumors 65816

Seems about the same to me, although the oleophobic coating does degrade over time, especially if you use something like Windex on the screen, so it could just be the "new" factor.

4. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope my iPad 1 was worse from day 1. I had a screen protector for the last 6 months. The iPad 2 is definitely better from the start.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, iPad 2 was improved in this area. The entire screen feels different.

6. DS3, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

DS3 macrumors 6502a

What I'd say is that the fingerprints seem to be easier to wipe off with a microfiber cloth. One swipe and they are gone as opposed to having to go back and forth a bit on my other devices.

Of course, I havnt had a new iOS device in a 2 1/2 years so I dont have much to compare it to.

7. marvguitar macrumors member

My iPad 2 is definitely cleaner. I think it's because of the smart cover though and the fact that we are all careful with it for the first week or two.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The glass feels smoother on my iPad 2 than the first one.

I can still see fingerprints but they are less noticeable, possibly because I got the white.

The smart cover also seems to wipe some of them off, although there are vertical lines between where the panels lie on the screen.

9. klover macrumors 6502a

Maybe you're less greasy than you were before :)

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I lose my microfiber cloth within the first week every year. I hen resort to just spraring glass cleaner on a napkin, letting it dry a bit, and wiping my screen. Been doing it since iPhone 1. Hasnt harmed or failed me yet.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. tsekh macrumors member

I'm not sure about it being more resistant to fingerprints. But I have the white model, and the white bezel makes the fingerprint MUCH less noticeable, and I rarely find it necessary to clean. Not until I turn off the monitor and then all the fingerprints show up. Perhaps that's why you need the Smart Cover. You switch off the screen only when you cover it up, so you don't get to see the fingerprints ;).

13. tsekh macrumors member

Yes, most touch devices with glass surface have it these days, although only Apple makes a big deal about it.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I didn't notice anything about fingerptints, but the iPad 2 screen looks brighter. I put 1 and 2 side by side with the same app and 2 was much brighter. Both were set on auto-brightness too.

15. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Over time you're always going to get microscratches in the glass, they might be too small to really see but they'll trap oils and such more, thus fingerprints. It'd be better to compare a fresh out of the box ipad 1 vs ipad 2 as opposed to relying on memory or comparing a new ipad 2 to an old ipad 1